Wintering the Flow Hive in Perth Western Australia

Hi Neddy, I too had many questions about wintering a flow hive (see Packing down a flow hive (or not) for winter). It’s my first winter, so I’ll have to wait to see the outcome. Erring on the side of caution, I’ve left four full standard frames of honey in the flow super plus four frames are in the brood box (I actually pulled two of the flow frames out of my hive when I first set it up and put in four standard frames for this purpose). I have pulled the flow frames out completely and replaced them with some partially built comb from a absconded hive that was going well until they absconded :slight_smile:. I also added a WSP super under the QX as the brood box was fully populated with honey and brood with the theory that since they are still active they can build into that now whilst weather is still OK. I’m planning for next winter to just have the brood box and the WSP (as a honey super only) left on and removing the flow super completely. I’ll just have to wait and see what happens…

Brother Joe (http://forum.honeyflow.com/u/Brother_Joe_Smith) also recommended adding a carpet tile between the QX and the brood box cut so to allow the bees to get around the edges of the tile to get to the honey if they need it. I’ll also be doing that to reduce the heating space.