Woodworking and Other Hobbies. Also Stuff we Grow to Eat, Etc

That’s a lovely urn, and so specially made. I can’t imagine the weight of this task. What a beautiful result :rainbow::deciduous_tree::tulip:

1 Like

Pretty good guess @busso - you only left out the time needed to wait for the pole to rise :scream::flushed:oooops, I mean the loaves :innocent:

1 Like

Wait what???
Watering the garden?

3 Likes

Thanks skegs, was afraid to ask that one!

3 Likes

Crikey! Did I write that… Geez, I thought my english was better than that. :rofl:

4 Likes

A great tribute Pete… nice work.

1 Like

I really hope that was a typo :grinning:

Thanks mate, the turning wasn’t the hard part, it was probably the most emotional thing I have done. The guys at the Men’s Shed were shattered at Dennis;s passing within a couple of hours of knocking off after a day at the shed, he was a founding member and a dynamo.
Thanks to all you guys and gals that enjoyed see the urn also.

1 Like

You are so naughty. :open_mouth::open_mouth:

3 Likes

Ain’t it so funny, as we get older we hit the enter key before we read what what we have written. :thinking: I just love this forum and the family atmosphere.

2 Likes

Just so, Peter - how unfair of Wilfred to say I am the naughty one! Rereading HIS post should set the picture straight :wink::upside_down_face: - who thinks of red wine, a pole, and 12 hours in the bedroom when discussing bread recipes? Wilfred does :smile:

1 Like

I think he was thinking of Dawn, she is the ‘wild child’ and she draws you innocents into her den.:thinking:
But I like it, aahhh, the youthful memories.
Cheers Eva :rose:

1 Like

I not sure which is the naughtiest, Eva or Dawn but they sure make me smile.
:slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face::blush::blush: Notice I smile more than I blush.:wink:

3 Likes

They are both feathers from the same bird, always good for a smile, but some of it goes clear over my head.:innocent:
Cheers

1 Like

I’m pleased to revive this topic. Recently I started cutting rats up to feed the birds. This one was #5. I’m getting better all the time. This time I got 9 for the price of one because she was heavily pregnant with eight embryo inside. I leave all of the offal out first minus the gut, but including the chopped up tail. That went over a few hours. This afternoon I cut up the carcass for the birds. The Kookaburra wasn’t far away. He/she wouldn’t let the other birds near it, once I walked away. I’m surprised at how much meat there is in one rat carcass. The eight embryo was a good addition to the pile of offal.

DSC00554
DSC00557
cheers

4 Likes

The magpies are very intelligent because one of them yanked on the Kookaburra’s tail. While the Kookaburra was turned around to see who pulled the tail, he/she quickly went around to grab a good feed.

The butcher birds as well as a Currawong also got a share of the carcass.

2 Likes

I hope growing our own food can be categorized as a hobby. Anyway I’m currently harvesting my 4 yacon plants. I’m harvesting, peeling, slicing & blanching for the freezer, one at a time. This is my 3rd plant. You can see in these photos the size of the hole left behind from one plant. I planted the plants flush with the ground last Sept. You can see how the growth of the tubers has pushed the plant up. The red rhizomes at the top is what you plant again.
DSC00559
DSC00560
This weighed in at 10.5 kilos
DSC00561
You can see the beautiful flesh, once you remove the ugly skin.

Now slicing & getting ready to blanch & freeze.

I’m nearly just as excited about growing yacon as I am about growing dragon fruit.
cheers

7 Likes

Well, come on give us the gen Jeff.
What do they taste like? They look like a sweet potato on the outside and pumpkin on the inside.
Do you use them as a cooked veg or in a salad?

1 Like

Hi & thanks Busso. They are not strong on flavor, however crunchy when eaten fresh. They can be like a mild watermelon to carrot flavor. We use them as a vegetable. They are beautiful & crunchy when not overcooked. They lose a bit of that crunch once frozen. We have a short window of opportunity to harvest & process them because they go rotten in the ground & despite what they say on the internet, we can’t leave them sitting around because they go rotten also.

They are native to Peru. They are also known as Peruvian Ground Apple because the flesh is opaque & crunchy like an apple, despite looking like pumpkin :slight_smile:

Thanks Jeff,
In addition to using them on their own, I would imagine they would be perfect for stir frys, soups and stews to give texture.