Bee Suit recommendations?

I need the suit but I don’t how much it will cost. And how and where to get with smoker.

Hi Jack. I just spotted this thread :slight_smile: It looks like anchoring a hive down to a roof would be the best policy to adopt.

2 Likes

Hi Jeff,

-these windstorms are powerful events. In this article they talk of 250k gusts in one storm. A cyclone is basically a low pressure system. I have known of 176k gusts in Tassie from cyclonic winds. Forget about anchoring the hive to the roof when it get like that. That day the winds took the entire roofs of homes so the hive would go with the roof I guess!

Anchor the roof then??? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Hi Dan, I guess so. I’m only using two boxes per hive. I wonder if that has contributed to me having none blown over. A lower center of gravity would have to help. It’s always helpful with boats to have a lower center of gravity.

The overhang on a flow roof would not help in high winds.

1 Like

Now here is the thing. Here we are (well some of us) working out how to keep the Flow roof on and/or attached to the hive, but really, it is a bit like a sacrificial anode on a boat - the roof blows off when it is really windy, leaving the smaller inner cover on over the bess - it being propolised down. Once the Flow roof has blown off, the centre of gravity is lower and there is also less of the object to catch the wind and potentially topple the hive. If your flow roof is tied on or propolised to the hive itself or even if it has bricks or weight on it, the hive is at more risk of blowing over. I’ll no longer try to change the Flow roof design by putting bricks on it or in any other way to make it heavier, but simply will now place it on top of the inner cover, and let the wind take it off if it is windy enough. I guess if the hive is up high however, you wouldn’t want the lid to hit someone or something. Here, trampolines and unsecured garden sheds end up as an unwanted gifts to other nearby residents.

Similarly here, small boats on the highland lakes are known to be more at risk of capsize in high winds, when equipped with a decent canvas canopy to catch the wind.

1 Like

It’s pretty hard for this old bloke to get his head around having a sacrificial lid on a beehive. Maybe the lid would be better if it had no overhang, & then just used like a migratory lid that gets propolized down. But then the gable roof only looks good, it doesn’t serve any other purpose than to be a fancy roof on a beehive. My flat roofs have multiple uses. They are like a mini work surface while working on neighboring hives. Also I sit nucs on top of them. They stack easy. Simple to produce. The list just goes on, too numerous to mention.

1 Like

Basically that’s it jeff- there is no great advantage to the fancy flow roof (though I think the extra shade and keeping the hive walls drier are pluses). I’m perfectly happy with all my new hives with migratory lids on them. But for a back yard hive the flow roofs are a nice touch. This year I have planted a heap of bee friendly plants around my yard- and just now my flow hives are looking rather picturesque:

Also I just finished one of my little expandable Nuc hives with a fancy copper sheet roof- that ones very heavy duty- with the thick inner cover it adds 2 1/2 inches of wood between the bees and the outside world:

3 Likes

Hi Jack, you do a great job on those hives. Maybe we’re a bit off topic.

I have a vented suit, I never wear it. It’s too bulky under the crutch. Plus if there’s no breeze it’s too hot to wear. I’m happier in my non vented suit.

Only have experience with flow suits. The cotton one was ok, since I didn’t know any better. Then ordered a flow ventilated suit, but too large. It was really heavy. The Vikings in our family are happily wearing it now.
Received my size ventilated flow suit today, wore it for hours, no sweat!
It’s so worth it that ventilation. My size ventilated seems larger than my size flow cotton. Just saying.

I like jackets. I also like @JeffH’s round veil however they don’t seem that popular over here so my supplier doesn’t stock them. I always like to try them on as I do with any rediculously expensive clothing item I choose to purchase… Anyway,
Do you have a reason for the round veil Jeff?
My current veil is hooded and have never been stung on the face. Wearing it. I have been stung on the face. :rage:
But I do like my heavy cotton jacket, comfortable but still hot in the sun.
:slightly_smiling_face:

Hi @skeggley, the round veil was attached to the new suit that I bought. Before I bought that suit, I always had bee suits without a veil. I used to have veils over hats. The type that you tie around your body. You never see them any more.

hey,
I’ve been beekeeping since many years. I have lots of hives. Iould recommend any one to purchase good quality bee keeping suits. www.hcstores.com is the best store to find out and purchase any of the stuff. It has good quality, low price material. :slight_smile:

remomendation in regards to bee suits is to allways go for a sise biger than your casual ware clothing exsample if you a small you going to go for a medium if your a mediam you go for a large if your a lage you go for an exstra large