URGENT HELP! My queen dissapeared... late in season- what to do?

Hi Jack, take a look in 3 or 4 days, if there is no queen, you should see some queen cells by then. Don’t be too worried about whether the queen will mate or not. She probably will, if not, give them another frame of brood. Sometimes we worry unnecessarily.

If you can afford to, you could keep giving the hive frames of brood (on warm days) right through winter. Maybe one every 2-3 weeks. At the start of spring, they’ll make a queen.

PS Jack, after re-reading your message, I just want to say, “don’t get overly attached to the queens”. Apart from that, the patch of drones in drone comb is not from a laying worker, I suspect it is the last bees to hatch because drones take a few days longer to hatch than workers, therefore after the last worker has hatched, there will still be some drones left to hatch.

It’s when you see drones in worker comb that you know you either have an unmated or poorly mated queen or a laying worker. I found a colony the other day where the queen was laying a mix of fertile & unfertile eggs in worker comb. She got found & squashed.

5 Likes

Thanks Jeff I feel much better already!

I am going to have to get over my sentimentality- I have another hive that I should have requeened a while back but I can’t bring myself to hunt down and pinch the queen quite yet. I feel bad whenever I squash any bee still. I am hoping that hive will supercedure her and save me having to do the deed. But I’ll have to get over that…

Good observation about the drone brood- I think your probably right. Which I guess puts a timeline on the queens likely demise- a few weeks ago at most?

Only problem I have with adding brood frames throughout winter is I only have 4 hives- one has mild chalk brood which I wouldn’t want to spread- that only leaves me two donors- one is only 8 frames+flow super - the other 10. Both have lots of honey stores and only a few frames of brood themselves…

If you had a hive with just 3 frames with brood- would you be happy to take one out? Or would that set it back too much?

One good thing in recent days the bees have been bringing in masses of pollen- and I saw fresh nectar in frames I had recently robbed- it seems we are having a good late autumn flow.

One last thing Jeff: I spoke to a local beek this afternoon- he said there’s a small chance I’m not queenless at all. That occasionally the queen goes off the lay. I’m pretty sure the queen is dead- I checked every frame and didn’t see one capped worker cell or larvae. Do you think there’s any chance the queen just stopped laying for an entire brood cycle?

Also- if my queen did die two weeks ago- why didn’t I see any evidence of emergency cells? It’s as if the bees made no attempt to make a queen themselves?

I’d say they probably didn’t attempt to make a queen. I suppose that they have a relatively small opportunity to make a queen given the age of eggs or larvae that is needed. They probably hesitated and lost the chance…

1 Like

Hi Michelle

I have personally experienced what you mentioned about the QB not laying at all. This was about a month ago

After that inspection, I thought i had lost her. No queen cell sighted and as a newbie, it did not occur to me as to why wasn’t there any?? LOL

Then I went to get a nuc to combine the ‘queenless’ hive. Upon removing the frames from the hive, I noticed there were capped broods! Oops, I thought. A good surprise tho

Good luck!

1 Like

When you thought your hive was queenless : did you inspect every frame carefully? And if so I assume you didn’t see a single egg larvae or full capped brood?

I hope that’s what’s happened to me too :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Yes that is a mystery as to why they didn’t attempt to make emergency queens.

I would be happy to take one of the three frames during spring, but not now.

In relation to the chalk brood, just make sure the brood can’t get chilled. I found a bit of it lately, I’ve been putting those frames above QX’s of strong hives.

It wouldn’t be all that bad to use the brood frames containing chalk brood to add to the colony if it did finish up to be queenless during winter. Even just one per month to maintain the population & hopefully prevent the colony from producing a laying worker.

You have lots of options, assuming the colony does go queenless without any chance of making or buying a new one, you could combine that colony with another one until after winter.

2 Likes

Jack- re the eggs -you already know about using the sun to shine on the frame when looking for eggs - that was no good for me either so (you might have done this already) I then used a pair of cheap reading glasses from the pharmacy (place them so you can see over the top of them when walking around), and then I had no problem finding the eggs. Hope that helps if you haven’t tried already.

3 Likes

Hmm- the problem with combining it to another hive is that’s it’s such a large colony- and made of 13 frames (long hive). I don’t have a spare 8 frame box to put it on a flow hive…and I’d have to do some thinking about combining colonies into a long hive- not so easy to do the newspaper trick…

Hopefully they will make a queen- I might buy one anyway- and if the long hive requeens itself I could pinch the chalk brood queen :princess: :cry:

2 Likes

I had the same thing as Aaron about 6 months ago, and it all came good Michele/ jack. Cheers Tim

2 Likes

That’s interesting: did you look at every frame and see no eggs, larvae, capped brood, nothing? I had just assumed that automatically means no queen… except for a hive in mid winter. Apparently where I am bees don’t even stop rearing brood in winter either…

Maybe they are just in reorientation mode due to the new space? Everything is different, humidity, smell, air circulation, …
And after all, this time of year it prob doesn’t take much to turn a queen off laying.
Following

Where I am, late in the season, the queen stops laying in most of my normal sized hives.

Somehow my queens didn’t get the message it’s late in the season, or maybe it’s not late at all yet. They all go about laying as if it’s spring time, with pollen and nectar galore coming in. The Carnies and the Italians.
Not sure when they intend to stop, but obviously not as long as the goods are to be collected and temps go way above 20C.

If the queen is in there- I’ll be surprised indeed. I’ve never looked into a hive before and seen no evidence whatsoever of brood. I really did look at every comb- other than maybe 20 drone cells on one small area of one comb I didn’t see a thing. I just thought: that’s it- she’s dead!

Just for a spell before they resume? So there’s a time period where you can’t see any brood at all- then it appears?

I guess we are talking at least two weeks of no laying- till no capped brood is left- and then a resumption? Does that happen?

I hope I haven’t panicked for nothing- the hive I took the frame from is my most productive and we seem to be having a late autumn flow on… I did put a perfect fully drawn comb to replace it at least…

1 Like

IT’s very regional and there are other factors involved. My big 3 deep hives are always laying but the nucs and 2 deep hives take a break from early November into late January depending on weather.

2 Likes

Yes we found no larva, eggs, capped brood, queen cells, that we saw anyway and ordered a nuc, we were so convinced that it was queenless, the day before picking up the nuc we checked the hive and we had a laying queen. So I used the nuc for starting our second hive. Cheers Tim

1 Like

I just inspected the hive again. The bees have not build any queen cells. Checked every frame, and other than the one I introduced there are no signs of any brood.

The hive is very strong plenty of bees and plenty of honey and pollen. Not really sure what to do next-I don’t really have any more brood frames to spare at this time.

I did see one queen cell- small and open at the bottom of a frame. Couldn’t see anything in it. I guess there is a chance the colony superseded and that there is a virgin queen in there somewhere?

I have a queen on order from WA- hopefully that will come through… :thinking:

4 Likes

Signed up just to reply to this thread as I’ve run into related situations during the past few years. I know this is last year’s thread, but I am very interested in how this ended up turning out for the OP.

Where I am (Zone 4-5 Canada), this year almost all my queens took a break. I opened them on the first 20 degree day we had and no brood in any carni hives, and a very small patch starting in a hybrid strain hive I have down in a valley in Zone 5 (I live right on the zone 4-5 line). Eerything else looked perfect - healthy population, nice clean cells toward the center, pollen and honey stores left over from winter, clustering up properly, etc…

As someone above said, this is very regional topic, with which I completely agree. Beekeepers from more southern locations will swear that if there is no brood, there is no queen. I have personally witnessed that to be false on several occasions. I’m still learning the patterns here for my area (only on year 4 for beekeeping), but here is what I’ve learned over a few years of my own experience from my 4 or 5 hives in my area.

1 - The first 20 degree day or two is critical for the queen to start (or significantly ramp up) brood production in my area. Where I live, this can be anywhere from March to May. This year was late, our first 20 degree day was this week. Last year was early, in March. I saw them starting to bring back pollen from who knows where the first week of April last year. This year, they just started bringing in pollen this week. Until that 20 degree day or two happens, and I allow about a week to pass, I don’t even bother looking for brood. In fact,openeing the hive this early I believe to be more detrimental when you can;t really change anything at this time anyway. Based on my experience, she takes a break somewhere in the winter until this time. There is generally not a single drone to be found, either.

2 - If they are bringing in pollen, but I have no brood in Spring, I still don’t worry. I have found that Carniolans especially can wait until the troops are bringing in pollen steadily and the temps have hit 20 degrees a few times BEFORE the queen even starts brood production. But in general, I have dealt with queenless hives, and it is very rare to see them bringing in pollen without a queen and/or brood. They simply have no need for it (unless a laying worker scenario perhaps). Steadily incoming pollen generally implies a healthy hive all the way from population to brood/queen health.

3 - When you first open the hive, choose a day that is cool but not too cool - maybe 15 or 16 degrees. Up here, the bees will still cluster up with the hive open at this temperature, generally around the queen, giving you a clue as to where she is.

4 - If they go queenless during the winter, there will almost certainly be a sign of them trying to recover - queen cells drawn, laying worker evidence, etc…

So I think in summary, I do not make the assumption that no brood = no queen until the weather has sufficiently warmed up. Even then, the colony needs to show me that there is no queen (not bringing in pollen, dispersed clustering, old queen cell evidence, etc…) before I act. Based on this post, my initial prognosis if this hive was in my area, would be that she is probably there, just on a break - until the OP found an old queen cell in a May, that is. :slight_smile:

1 Like