Hi All, I am still very new to bee keeping.
Everything went well until about 1.5 months ago.
I have 2 Flow 2 hives of less than a year old.
The fist hive is doing well and the colony is slowly increasing.
The 2nd hive was also doing well up to 1.5 months ago when I lost the queen during one of my inspections.
So I decided to take a frame of brood, eggs and larvae from the fist hive and swapped it over with a frame from the 2nd hive.
I was then hoping that the queenless 2nd hive would make their own queen.
After inspecting the hive 2 weeks later, no queen cells were found and and the frames were on their last capped brood.
So I decided to take another frame of brood from the first hive and try again.
Following a inspection 25 days later I found no closed or opened queen cells, no capped brood left and the bees were getting very aggressive.
I don’t want to take another frame from the first hive as that will set that colony back substantially.
I am looking for comments regarding the above, did I do the right thing or have I done something wrong ?
My next move is trying to find someone that will sell me a couple of frames with brood, eggs and larvea to place in the queenless hive.
Is this a reasonable idea to try and get the colony to make another queen?
At this time of the year it is impossible to buy a new queen.
I don’t want to loose this colony and I am open to other suggestions from other experienced bee keepers.
Thank you all in advance.