1st inspection! Is this a queen cell?

Hi hi!

6 days after their arrival, I have done my first ever open inspection - I’m a newbee if that wasn’t already obvious :wink:
I bought a hive from a local lady and they came with 10 frames, bees on about 5 or 6. I watched them the first few days, to check for ants, and make sure the badger hadn’t been to knock them over. I hadn’t been down to them for the last few days due to weather and busy schedule. So today was perfect climate and time to open them up and check how they’re doing. As soon as I got to their field, I could see they were busy and more of them than before so I had a good feeling.
They have definitely multiplied and I found 3 frames with capped brood, lots of pollen and nectar, and a little capped honey. ( well as a first timer I’m pretty sure that’s what I saw!) but I also found this cell that I will try to load the pic in a minute. Is it a queen cell? Should I be worried?
This hive was made from a split in mid June, and they reared their own queen. They shouldn’t need another one right? Could they be getting ready to swarm?
They are now about 7 frames full. I didn’t see the queen today, but I also didn’t look hard for her there was so much else to look at! She is marked so I thought she would stand out. I think I know which frame she was on the bees def moved differently on that one !

My photo skills whilst inspecting with gloves on definitely needs some help, I’m gonna ditch the gloves next time!

Do they need another box already? In the second box do I exclude the queen so they can store just honey for winter or do I let her in and double the population?
I realise that might be not a straight forward right or wrong answer! :laughing: But I’m confused and not sure which is best for the bees?

Here’s another bad photo… hope I get better at this

Thanks for tips and help :slight_smile::honeybee::unicorn:

1 Like

It looks like that queen has emerged already. Likely that is where the queen for this split was raised. You would definitely notice if they had swarmed since you got them

Ah good! I should listen to my gut, that was my first thought and then later on reflection I started to think…oh no what if they’re getting ready!
Thanks heaps, will sleep better now :wink:

You should only add a box when…

Your existing brood box has

1. Fully drawn comb covering most of every frame, and
  2. The comb is 80% full of brood, pollen or honey, and
  3. Every frame is well covered with bees

Your frames don’t look that full, or that covered with bees, so personally I would not be adding a box yet. :blush:

1 Like

Hi Dawn!

Hope you’re keeping well :blush:

Thanks for the very clear instructions, makes perfect sense. You’re right there were not bees all over 80%, so I will sit tight!

It’s a relief actually as the eu flow warehouse are stocktaking and not shipping until later in the week and that would mean a long drive to the bee supplies store if I needed a box in a hurry.

Building my frame adapters is enough of a project for me right now :wink:

Have a great day!

1 Like

Your second photo shows a frame with lots of space so another box is not warranted. As you are now going into autumn I would be looking at feeding that hive to help getting it up to strength for winter. You don’t want to go into your winter with a weak hive.

Cheers
Rob.

1 Like

Hi there Rmcpb!

Thanks for the advice! I’m looking into feeding options…

Just on the second Photo - i could see shiny liquid in all of the uncapped cells, i assumed that would be nectar, is that right?

Thanks heaps!

I would think you are right about the shiny liquid.

Cheers
Rob.

1 Like