At Last, The Game is a Foot - Busselton, Western Australia

1 Like

I assume you are receiving this wonderful weather down south @busso, are your bees using up their stores?

For others are nformation, we have just had the second wettest day on record.
In the middle of summer.
Just as the flow starts.
Rain is good.

I hope not there is blossom everywhere.
The Flow Frames look full to the brim but the girls donā€™t want to cap it just yet. Iā€™m walking around like an expectant father checking the windows every now and then, but nothing seems to change. Occasionally one cell seems to go empty and then refilled. Very nerve racking.
I think the medical term for it hive pre emptorial neversea syndrome
DD (@Dawn_SD) could probable give a proper diagnoses.

4 Likes

Hmm, could be a range of things, but I think mild anxiety neurosis would be on the list somewhere. :blush:

Our girls have just started filling the Flow Hive too. Our Marri has been flowering profusely for weeks so we have been hovering like expectant parents waiting for them to begin filling it. It took them ages to move upstairs but now they are on it. Now to wait for them to cap it.
We are in Bullsbrook.

1 Like

After due consideration I am posting on the actual frame drain.
Time: About 10:30 AM
The set up
Now you canā€™t fail to notice the brilliant bit of engineering ā€¦NOT.
Had this bright spark idea of a 6 frame drain in an open box which would be easy to put a sheet or large towel over to completely enclose it from inquisitive bees. How ever the design was floored and I hadnā€™t picked it up till it was made. The is no way to change the jars in the front 3 spouts because the hive is there. AHHHH. Anyway 3 at a time will be fine will be fine. The sheet thing worked fine. The longer it went the more bees were buzzing out the back. However none could get at the honey.
And yes I am reinventing the wheel here and as I have seen, there are probably better ways of doing it, but its fun to just bash something up which seems a good idea at the time.

The start of something big.

Edit typo

1 Like

Thatā€™s a very fancy looking design Busso! Well done.
These are pics of our first harvest.
We did our first harvest on Sunday, we yielded 8.5 kg from 3 frames, so we are very excited. We used simple glad-wrap over the bucket to stop potential pilfering. And not knowing for sure if you ā€˜just turn a tap and get honeyā€™ we put it straight into a bucket with a gate and a sieve on top, just in case. We then poured out of gate from bucket into jars in the kitchen, in the a/c. Beeutiful!

3 Likes

I had trouble figuring out how to add photos to here, so sorry about the edits and photo order etc!

Nice one Neddy.
I always over complicate things. My wife says I always pick the most obscure method of doing things. I am happy to do it that way to start, then refine down to the easiest most simple way, usually modifying someone elseā€™s design. Keeps the brain active. :sunglasses:

When they say there is more than one way to do things I mostly try them all. :slight_smile:

And yes I am one of the ā€œIf everything else fails read the handbookā€

2 Likes