At least I know I am not allergic

Copped a good one yesterday in between the eyes. I got carried away watching activity at the entrance and without warning from the guard on duty… shoot first ask questions later… usually I get a warning bump.

Woke up swollen this morning…

Sting Count: 4

3 Likes

That’s annoying Fred.

First time I got stung was on my ear. Worst bit was not the pain. My ear got comically swollen for a week and it was enduring the stares and explaining to people it’s just a bee sting that p’d me off most.

2 Likes

I got popped right between the eyes too a couple of weeks ago, mosquito bite size swelling for only 1 day then it was gone.

that’s what made me really happy, the fact that even on the face I didn’t swell up much. But that’s not to say they’ll all be like that (especially near the eye) lol

1 Like

Well the swelling continued to the point I was straining to open my eyes to see. I went to the doc today, who explained it’s ‘localised’ swelling :rofl: Wasn’t too far off the Will Smith pic above… looked worse than it felt.

Doc wasn’t too concerned about future bites causing anaphylactic reations. He gave me some steroid tablets to take for 3 days to assist in the swelling. Seems to be working aided by plenty of ice and compression.

Here is how I looked… :cry:

2 Likes

I got stung twice on different days on my head. I am bald so the sting were quite painful once the venom kicks in. I have a migraine like pain for about 2-3days. BiteAway helps keep the pain level down. It wasn’t from working the hive. Just in the garden fixing some netting over my almond tree but was walking pass their flight path and there were lots of bees due to sunny weather despite their hives facing the fence. Other times when not so many active bees, I have been ok.

Hi Eric, I discovered that bees are triggered to be become aggressive merely by the presence of an elevated level of co2 in the air. That is going to be increased after a bit of strenuous work. So if we walk past the bees flight path while breathing heavier than normal, that increase in co2 could trigger a bee to become aggressive.

I think the best thing to do while walking past the bees flight path is to hold our breath.

I bought the Bite-Away stick a couple of years ago and am very happy with it. Two of my kids had some fun testing it out on each other before getting stung :running_man:‍♂:running_woman: :smile: and it does work well for actual stings!

1 Like

It works well for mosquito bites too. We seem to have a couple inside our house at the moment, and they love me. Unfortunately I get a very marked histamine reaction to their bites, but the Bite Away removes the itch for around 8 hours. Great relief and worth the sting of the burning sensation when you apply the heat.

1 Like

Didn’t I show you the bite away?

A spoon run under hot water will do the same thing, however, getting the correct temperature is the hard part.

How do I know?

My wife had put the bite away and I couldn’t find it so went for the hot spoon… I ended up getting into trouble for burning myself :frowning_face: The burn took much longer to heal than an application with the bite away :frowning:

I also dose up on antihistamine immediately that I am stung.

1 Like

Not that I recall… but I read on it and that’s how it is supposed to work.

51°C is the critical temperature and they claim it denatures the protein of the sting.

I’m still sceptical it but I need to try it. I got stung in my ear once and it swelled to comical proportions.

1 Like

Why I bought a Bite Away is because I usually don’t have a bad reaction to a sting but one day a particular sting gave me a really bad reaction. I did all the home remedies, went to the chemist and even my doctor. The chemist said hat a Bite Away might be the way to go but had never actually seen one. So I figured if they are just a ‘snake oil’ I would just add it to my bee junk boxes. But I have used it a few times both on myself and others with excellent out comes.
A Bite Away and histamine tablet is the way to go.
Cheers

I would like to get an Epi-pen or 2 but during a first aid presentation down at the fire shed last week we were told how expensive Epi-pens were and that they are best used within a year, after which time they are less effective but still worth trying…, and yes, I do get that health is more important than cost…, currently seeking a subsidised Epipen…, but in the mean time, I’ll get hold some Bite Away and (anti)Histamine. Never say never, but I fully suit up(sometimes gloveless)…, I don’t often get stung…, touch wood/fingers crossed…, and relax.

1 Like