Bee Brains,Lavender and DNA

I also heard it helps with Varroa, We have a Nosema Clinic tomorrow, But I’m pretty sure mine are clear. It is still nice to check and know.

@Dee I would be interested to see your thymol recipe

it is not for the smell it is for the antibacterial and antifungal properties

No it doesn’t.
Thymol delivered at much stronger concentrations, home made, Apilife Var, Apiguard does. That’s probably where the confusion lies.
Thymol for Autumn syrup

The calming effects of Lavender and Roses is interesting and has potential for our own activities around the hive.

What fascinates me is firstly mapping of the genome of the bee and how narrow the variation is.

Secondly how they have seen how the genes can be switched on and off due to not only environmental factors but by introduced factors. ie. certain cancer drugs having such an pronounced effect on the brain like loss of memory. Think on that, we have saved your life but you are going to get dementia.

I have close family members with Parkinson’s and dementia and the continued work with bees in the area is mind boggling. The brain of a bee no matter how tiny it is has a close resemblance to the human brain …how do you process that.

What a wonderful world we live in to have these people working out what we are through our beautiful girls.

Sometimes I wish I was a scientist not a boring old engineer… the dreamer vs the practical.

3 Likes

You are a dreamer. You are a beekeeper. QED… :wink:

2 Likes

Crickey I’m falling down at home now and I’m only 74. Memo to busso drink less wine and even less G & T.

1 Like

You’ll be ok if you steer clear of Finnish vodka and get plenty of sunshine :wink:

My care training also includes a dementia speciality and care.

Dementia can occur as early as the 20’s - 5% of the population will have dementia before 65 (‘early-onset dementia’)

Old Age onset dementia starts about age 65 and the percentage of likelihood of getting dementia increases the older you become. Alzheimer’s disease is an umbrella name for dementia but consists of over 100 type of diseases, Alzheimer’s, Parkinsons, Vascular dementia, Frontotemporal dementia,
Dementia with Lewy bodies (can be quite violent), Alcohol-related brain damage, Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD).