Bee Photographs

Mis-spent childhood opening snapdragons revealed mainly bumble bees in the ones I looked at. :smile:

4 Likes

Hahaha :joy: :joy: :joy_cat:

A feral colony in a large sugar maple in -20C. Hope they make it through the winter!

5 Likes

What is wash Boarding? And why do bees do it?
From a newbee

I highly suggest you search the forum for wash boarding. Here’s a link to at least one of the many threads on here, In short no one really knows

http://forum.honeyflow.com/t/serious-washboarding-this-evening/7210

1 Like

I posted a video of my bees wash boarding here
http://forum.honeyflow.com/t/video-of-bees-washboarding-on-front-of-hive/9404?u=rbk

1 Like

Mis-spent?? Or early doctor training…

1 Like

my bees busily building new comb- they store honey in it even as they build it- and the construction workers get fed right off the building site:

2 Likes

Following on from @rightph photographs of a banksia flower( I will copy here for ease of reference)
You might be interested in what happens after flowering.
When the flower dies and the petals fall it leaves a cigar shaped fury rod the length of the flower.

This is a closer look a bit out of focus

Following this the cigar thingie grows a seed pod, again the length of the flower.

The seeds have been evacuated in this photo. Seed pod is hard and woody. If you slice it length ways you get this.

If you slice along the axis you get this

I have made many drink coaster slicing axially.

Leads to artistic people making key holders like this. No I did not make this, my Mother did.

I find Banksia’s fascinating.

6 Likes

Really cool
Thanks for posting
That seed pod looks like a wasp nest

1 Like

Not really a Photo, a photo could not do this justice. Video from my mentor, he put out a little bit of pollen in a bucket near is bees this afternoon, December 26 here in Dallas

5 Likes

Yes, very fascinating!! So different to anything around here.

Whoa, quite a frenzy! Would that indicate those bees are trying to raise brood right now in your area Marty?

1 Like

My mentor indicated to me yesterday when I was asking about the video. Is that the Queen typically only shuts down during December and early January around here. So I’m not exactly sure. Not sure what all that means :slight_smile: still learning

1 Like

Thanks Busso, for the information on the Banksia!! Very interesting indeed!

Might go plant some low growing banksia in my front yard. Any recommendations?

No not necessarily
Bees are opportunists and will bring food into the hive at every opportunity
I have had a queen-less colony fill a whole brood box wth pollen

1 Like

No recommendations I only have the ones native to our plot.
I do know that all Banksias are susceptible to dieback . There are some really spectacular ones. The native nurseries will be better able to help you.

2 Likes

No worries, I’ll check out Bunnings later on :slight_smile:

Yes…I recommend this one:

It only grows to a couple of metres in height but is also good for its fire tolerance. Note that Banksia’s suffer from root rot (so keep their feet dry) and also most (all?) are very susceptible to die-back.

These also grow very well up around the Joondalup/Wanneroo area.

1 Like

Thanks Alan! Hope to meet up with my fellow beeks in NOR, sometime in 2017!