Bee Photographs

You lot are so lucky having all these flowering trees.
No wonder the Flow has taken off so
It’s so well suited to taking off individual frames of individual honey

2 Likes

The pot colony has been bearding in the humidity the last few days so much more than the other colonys. I thought the straight line of bees was curious and was wondering what they were queueing for.
Sorry about the poor quality pic.

4 Likes

Could they be lining up on a honey leak from the box above?

That is curious! Dawn’s idea makes sense…wonder what’s happening there?

I spotted this forager on a shrub that our gardener called a New Zealand tea (ti) tree. I think the real name of the genus is Leptospermum. The bee seems to like finding some food in February in southern California! Thankfully we don’t have too many of these shrubs, because I think the honey is pretty powerfully flavored. :smile:

We have Eucalyptus flowering with impressive bunches of red flowers too, but the flowers are too high above ground for a decent photo. :blush:

4 Likes

This one blows up real nice at full-size :slight_smile:

This girl has hanging out on top of a hive at bee school this past Saturday.

6 Likes

She’s a beauty Bobby!

1 Like

May be we are over thinking the bearding.
Could it be they just want a rest. I see two girls in the photo chatting.

Maybe the conversation went like this.

Mabel : OMG my legs are killing me. That last load of pollen nearly did my poor old legs a mischief.

Mary: I know, I know. My poor tongue is killing me. I don’t think I could got another drop of nectar today.

Mabel: Do you think they will miss us out here?

Mary: Nah. Queeny was in such a lather this morning. Poor attendants didn’t know whether they were coming or going.

Mabel: Oh I miss those teenage days when all we had to do was paste a flake of wax and one there.

Mary: I try not to think at all.

Mabel: But just think our next job is Guard that can’t be so bad.

Mary : I am just dreading it…what if I have to send someone on their way.

Mabel: Oh suck it up girl, think of the hive and not yourself. What about the big person sitting on the block of wood. Should we send him on his way.

Mary: He’s all right I see him here all the time. And we not guards yet so put that sting away.

Mabel: When do you think we should get back to work?

Mary: Well I am not leaving till all those slackers down there move.

Mabel: Good. Did I tell you about…

10 Likes

Ha, I was thinking they may have been queuing for a Beeruce Stingsteen concert or something…

2 Likes

@busso, thank you! Best laugh of the day. :laughing:

1 Like

Sometimes walking is easier than flying home…

5 Likes

Is that what is known as a "walk away" split?? :joy:

Just kidding. :wink:

2 Likes

My peach tree is blossoming extraordinarily early but the girls don’t mind. Getting reports from club members something of a flow is starting here in N. Georgia.

4 Likes

Hi Andrew , im noticing you didnt put bees wax on the frames :slight_smile:
we ran a roller with melted local bees wax over ours and only put the super on today …withing 1 hour they had started to fill frames

Kind regards
Mark

2 Likes

My two youngest watching the bees work :wink:

and a pic of the top brood box :relaxed:

3 Likes

Smashing picture. Love it.

1 Like

I think the leptospermum are the source of the manuka honey, but it may not be the same variety.

Went out checking again today gave the bees a feed as well for a bit of a boost with my daughter Ruby looking good :slight_smile:

Will try and post video or link later today !!

Mark :blush:

7 Likes

video here :slight_smile: https://youtu.be/mcWNB71aMas

enjoy
Mark

2 Likes

This is one of my favorite threads here! :smile:

3 Likes