After the helpful advice I received following my post a few days ago regarding my concerns that my hive was being robbed, I was able to do a hive inspection yesterday.
I found lots of bees, eggs, capped brood, honey and pollen stores and a fair amount of capped drone brood. I currently have a 2 full depth super set up and there was capped brood, eggs and larvae in both boxes.
What I did not see was a lot of space, so I feel that I will need to split the hive.
What would be the best time frame to carry out this split?
I have pre-ordered a queen from a supplier, but they will not be available until mid October. ( I ordered the queen as this hive came from a swarm, so I don’t have any information regarding the current queen)
Should I carry out a walk away split, or wait for the new queen to arrive? I have a work colleague who has a feral hive in a bird box in their yard that they have asked me to remove, so I could use the queen on that colony.
Should I wait until I see Drones emerging from my hive, which would hopefully indicate that there are Drones from other hives in the area?
Should I carry out the split on my next inspection (hopefully in about 10 days or so, weather dependent) as by the time my hive produces a queen, there will be Drones about?
Any other advice would be appreciated.