Bring Flow inside house for extraction

Here are a couple of photos for you of how I set it up. This one is the same direction as the August 2017 post showing the boxes on the baking trays:

This next one is from the Flow tube end of the trays. Please note that I have 6-frame Flow supers, so my narrow rear baking tray is still wide enough to catch the drips from my super. :wink:

Might be a bit late, but I hope that helps. :blush:

4 Likes

This makes perfect sense. Thank you so much for your photos as well. Yes, this is too late for this year but I’ll keep this in mind for next year!

3 Likes

Love that “constructive” answer…and the drip tray I made was made of wax coated plywood and was strong enough to hold several stacked Flow supers. Thinking I should perhaps sell some extracting equipment and use this setup more…eliminates a significant amount of labor.

3 Likes

We appreciate you reaching out to the forum with your question brenzelmf

We do not recommend always removing the Flow Frames to harvest as this can cause issues and is not how the product is intended or designed. If someone wants to remove the super for winter and harvest the leftover honey, this is fine and should be fed back to the bees if not capped.

Thank you for responding. We only had 1 Flow super on early enough in the season to extract while on the hive. Our 2nd hive gained strength and we got our 2nd Flow super on. Both hives had capped honey in the Flow supers when we pulled them. Because we were going to store them inside for the winter, we decided to extract both supers in our kitchen. It meant that we could start a frame and do other things without keeping our suits on and having bees buzzing around us. I spot checked some of the jars and we’re at 18%. No need to go back to the bees!

3 Likes