Brood frame foundation

Wow, fascinating. My husband watched the video with me and now he wants to keep those bees too! I guess we have to move to Australia… :smile:

1 Like

Hi Jeff

Thanks for the very informative video on your native bees. I got myself a hive last xmas and the hive looks identical to yours without the perspex. I will be doing my first split at the end of the year and I have been somewhat apprehensive about the process, that is until now having seen your video.

Without having the advantage of the viewing perspex, I had no idea on how to ‘plan my attack’ as all others do the vertical or horizontal split, cant do this option as my hive does not allow. I now feel much more at ease in the future process. Just hope that I can too catch a new queen cell which are much larger than the average. I will now be updating my Hilton Hive to include a perspex or glass viewing window. What a great ideal !

Just hope that I don’t loose this video cause I’ll be watching it over and over again until I feel that I can do the job blindfolded.

THANKX AGAIN
Max

Thanks Jeff, I know I’m just a newbee but having a native bee colony is my goal in bee keeping.
Think I’ll be cutting up some of the Perspex I’ve got laying around the shed tomorrow too. :slight_smile:

if I can’t get the wood strips back out of these frames, can I still add foundation to them?

Why not just buy some replacements? Locally or from Mann Lake, they are about $1.50 or less per frame. Saves a lot of hassle.

well that was easy Dawn and that’s just what I will do. I might mix em up some with some without.

Might I suggest wedge tops with split bottom bars? Makes it much easier to attach the foundation. I can find a Mann Lake item number if you need it.

Actually, just found it. This is what I use for pre-wired foundation, or wax starter strips:
http://www.mannlakeltd.com/beekeeping-supplies/product/FR-921.html

1 Like

I read that the frames needed for plastic are different from the ones that are made for wax. Do these frames that come with the Flow Hive need any type of modification to accommodate plastic frames?

If you mean to accommodate plastic foundation, the answer is no, they are perfect as they are. I have some of this foundation, and it fits in just fine:
http://www.mannlakeltd.com/beekeeping-supplies/product/FN-710.html

1 Like

I don’t know why I didn’t comment earlier but what beautiful comb :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you Dee:) the 3 splits are all doing fine with new queens laying.

Contrary to what the experts say, I’m finding I’m able to easily swap boxes around without any fighting. I have one fairly strong hive & one hive was relatively low in numbers. They call the splits “mother & daughter”. These two hives weren’t mother & daughter. I swapped them so that the field bees go in the weak hive & vice versa. That worked really good.

Yes, i’ve done that. It works because the bees bring in nectar or pollen to bribe the guards who then let them in :slight_smile:

2 Likes