Buy a Flow Entrance Reducer

Someone at Bee Thinking a couple of months back said they were producing these for Flow - so back I came to buy from the Flow shop. Still nothing in the Flow shop yet.

When, oh when, will we be able to buy one? This year, next, never?

Just use a bit of wood that fits your entrance and closes the entrance down to the size you want. It does not have to be fancy.

Cheers
Rob.

Iā€™ve made several n have sent them off to Flow-hive friend to see if they fit correctly. Flows are a bit thinner n shorter than my standard Beethinking cedar hive !

Gerald

2 Likes

Trouble with those Gerald is that you need a whole collection to go from that small entrance to fully open. That is why I just use shims to get the entrance size I want then it can be opened bit by bit. Besides, I would never make it as nice or accurate so the shims work for me as they are so simple.

Cheers
Rob.

Rmcpb,

True maybe but the 1" is a good one if problems of yellow jackets or stealing starts. And for me personally. I have blanks cut already that I can cut a 4" wide. Most entrance reducers Iā€™ve seen only come with the 1" n 4" entrances. .

1 Like

@cowgirl - its really simple, just a couple of bits of thin timber broken to the length I want and pushed into the entrance. When winter really gets here and they quieten down I will put another set in to close the entrance to a couple of inches or less. Just keep adding the shims.

I donā€™t have the patience to make reducers like Gerald :weary: I have been known to just shove some dried grass in the entrance when neededā€¦

Cheers
Rob.

3 Likes

Two paint stir sticks broken or cut to leave your desired gap work great!

1 Like

OK, anyone else here able to make an entrance reducer that is attractive and fits the Flow?" Email me. Thanks.

@Gerald_Nickel has made one out of hardwood. He sent me one which needed a little trimming and sanding, but it fits really tightly and it looks nice. I am sending him a check for $20 for his time, materials, knowledge and postage/packing. Well worth it imho. Some photos:

If you are nice to him, he might be willing to make one for you! :smile: I think it is only fair to give him something for his expertise and willingness, though. Then he can get a nice tripod and remote shutter control for his iPhone - fair trade all round! :wink:

You canā€™t see it from this photo (I fitted it to an empty hive), but my bees like it too. It went into service yesterday when I installed a nuc.

1 Like

When would you use something like that?

We use something similar to this:

http://www.wilara.lt/cms/files/lakos-sklendeā€“cinkuotaā€“345-mmā€”1-9-vntā€“.JPG

(I suppose that essentially is less a reducer than a device to keep out mice and suchā€¦?)

Late fall in prep for the winter.

Ah, okay. Thanks for the info!

I also made out out of Australian hardwood (Jarrah) which fits as ā€˜snug as a bug in a rugā€™. Iā€™ve made a slight modification and placed two stainless screws on either end which stick out and makes for ease of fitting and removing.

1 Like

What are your dimensions?

Hey Bro !
Looking great ! Itā€™s what ever it takes to get the job done. I am just blessed with a small woodshop ! Keep up the great work ! Gerald.

Went ahead and bought the 8-frame cedar entrance reducers from Bee Thinking who manufacture the Flow wood hives and will get my husband to saw these things down to size. Canā€™t believe that no one took robbing, moving hives, winter, etc. into consideration when building the hive entrances, but hopefully all sorted now.

It was not an issue because its not a ā€œFlowā€ problem. All beekeepers handle it and usually make their own.

Actually, as a beekeeper I have never had to hack and saw at a hive entrance reducer, nor make one - but then Iā€™ve not had to deal with Langs and all their issues either.

Its not specifically a lang problem. All hives need their entrances opened or reduced during the season and this is just a way to handle it. On the other hand many people donā€™t ever do it. Some get away with it, others donā€™t.

Cheers
Rob.

I quit doing that and the bees seem better for it. I just reduce it year around and never change itā€¦