Capped comb and taking honey

I don’t extract until at lease 75% of the comb is capped. How does one know this with the Flow hive without lifting frames? A look in the side viewing window is not indicative of the centre of the super.
Thanks
MARK

You have to look at them to be sure, but you don’t have to lift them all.

If you take out the end frame, you can slide the others across while inspecting the frame faces from the top of the box. I made this easier to do by nailing metal frame rests into the boxes:
http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/10-L-Shaped-Metal-Frm-Rests

Yes, that’s what I’ve been doing.
Thanks

1 Like

I also love my cheapo honey refractometer - about $40 from Amazon. Just gives me peace of mind that the honey is as ripe as I think it is. I never used to have one when I only did traditional extraction, but I wish I had. It would have made avoiding anxiety in life a lot easier. :blush:

Hmmmmm
Never even heard of that gadget.
Back in the day when I ran a small commercial operation a look was fine and left me stress free.
Thanks

1 Like

This is the one I have.

I know you are in Australia, but several forum members there have found equivalents that they are happy with. I think eBay has them too. Just make sure it is for honey - other types may not give you useful results! :blush:

You may not need it with your experience, but I already find plenty of things to keep me awake at night. It is nice that the ripeness of my harvest doesn’t have to be one of those things. :smile:

Thanks Dawn,
I’m pretty old school.
:pray:t3: