Complete flow kit brood frame question

When Your learning from the head Beek in your Club, you tend to take them seriously.

I will pose the question again - I start a course with her on Friday for several weeks.

There may have been a cross conversation but I’m sure that is what she said - because I questioned it a second time

I’m not trying to argue…really…honestly.
Ask her how she reconciles her opinion that you can’t take honey from a frame that has been brooded in with Warre and Top Bar beekeeping.[quote=“Valli, post:42, topic:1460”]
When Your learning from the head Beek in your Club, you tend to take them seriously.
[/quote]
And of course,you should …to start with.
The head Beek in my club says bees get smaller and smaller in old brood comb.

Anyway, I’d be interested in Celia’s answer.

@Dee I understand where you are coming from.

These Beeks are fairly traditional. I’m weird because I do Langstroth and they ALL have Nationals.

But they use apivar and other treatments where as I only Vape and was reluctant to do that.

The thing to remember with treatments is to be open minded. If you hit on a treatment free regime then be happy. Monitor frequently. There is an excellent page on varroa monitoring on Randy Oliver’s website, particularly what methods are best during which season. Be prepared to treat if your colony seems to be succumbing. Of course, you could let them perish and leave nature to her selection but that would work for me only if I had lots of colonies. Five? Forget It…I would step in and use whatever was applicable.

3 Likes

It’s interesting to note that honey is basically regurgitated, partly digested, transferred from mouth to mouth bee vomit. It turns my stomach just to think about it. I can’t believe I eat that stuff.

1 Like

I’m surprised at that…not that you’re weird…:wink: but that nobody else has Langs. They are quite common nowadays and whereas Lang nucs were like hens teeth a few years ago they can be fairly easily obtained.
They have got more common because the one deep box (Jumbo here, I think) suits the British bee. Similar brood space to the 14x12 (again more common now) but a less deep more easily handled brood frame.
Another advantage of the Lang is that it has top bee space which many beekeepers prefer in that it makes you less prone to squash bees when replacing after inspection. It is easy enough to alter Nats and 14x12 to top space but they don’t come standard

It must be a Welsh thing to have Jumbo Nationals I know another Beek HHH has them as well.

My group are largely quite conservative

Forgot about this thread, and was really pleased when I saw the frames were exactly as I had hoped (with options to do other stuff for those wanting to do whatever). So glad Flow changed their mind about the frames. Yay for you!

Hi Dawn,

Thanks for your advice and comments.

I finally got my nuc early November 2017. And placed my flow super onto in this week. I had intended to do so early December, but the abnormal rain causing floods prevented this as the brood box was not full ( presumably due to pollen and nectar being washed out of the trees: we had a season’s rain in a couple of days).

The frames as pictured worked well, and the bees were evident in the super immediately, and starting to complete the hexagons with wax after only 24 hours in the viewing window! Amazing really.

I’m hoping for a harvest within the month…

Cheers Michael

1 Like

Thank you for the update. Great news! :blush:

Morning Dawn,

Struggling to put foundation in the flow brood frames and came across your feed.
Can I ask if it worked? And if you’d any advice?

Many Thanks
Louise

I use prewired foundation from Mann Lake or Kelley. perhaps you can give some more details or photos about why you are having trouble?

Not to worry decided to just buy uk brood frames lot easier to put foundation in. Thanks for reply :blush:

1 Like

For completeness, I’m pleased to report that my frames as photographed did work.

Unfortunately the current lockdowns in Australia are adversely effecting the ability to perform hive checks.

Michael

In most countries (US and UK for sure), bee hives are considered livestock and therefore not subject to lockdowns. Is there somebody that you can ask (like the DPI) about whether hive management is permitted during lockdowns? I am sure that it will allowed, you may just need to have some kind of documentation with you. :wink:

Ah, I found this on the VAA web site:

The VAA has been working with Governments during the current COVID-19 pandemic to ensure that our interests are considered as part of any movement restrictions and exemptions that apply to individuals and businesses.

I have been able to gain some clarity around beekeepers being able to attend their hives for husbandry purposes in areas subject to stage 3 and 4 movement restrictions. The link below takes you directly to the relevant web page which has a number of frequently asked questions (FAQ’s).

Where the FAQ indicates that you need to provide evidence about your animals/insects, I suggest that you carry a copy (both hard copy and electronic) of your beekeeper registration with you in the event of you being spot checked by authorities.

For current information please check the relevant Victorian and the AHBIC websites as they hold considerable amounts of relevant information for you and your business.

As the COVID-19 response continues, I will continue to represent the VAA and our interests at the relevant industry forums being hosted by Agriculture Victoria.

Kind regards, Phil McPherson, President VAA Inc

https://www.business.vic.gov.au/disputes-disasters-and-succession-planning/covid-safe-business/agriculture,-forestry-and-fishing-sector-guidance

Many thanks, Phil and Dawn.
This was clearly permitted last year on the Dept of Agriculture and Dept of Health (then DHHS) websites. But I’ve not been able to find the equivalent permission on the current websites.
Michael

And here it is:

Today’s advice is to carry your bee keeper registration paperwork, print this authorised worker list (2nd last dot point category includes apiculture), evidence of your residence (eg driver’s licence), and of the location of hives to be managed.

Obviously one still has to comply with the rules of the day from a health department direction/perspective. But at least this provides some clarity.

I’m looking forward to visiting my hives as we approach Spring, and probably give them a feed I expect.

Thank you for your advice, Dawn.

Kind regards
Michael

1 Like