Dead bees mummified

Hi Peter… yes I did moved the haive for cupple of time… thanks for the up date. I’ll make lots of sense…

1 Like

Interesting Peter. I wonder how the commercial guys go when they’re trucking hives around the countryside starting with almonds before spring.

I haven’t moved my hives so have no such experience. I’ve done some cutouts with only one that threw out dead brood (from a fallen tree that I had rubber banded brood comb to frames).

When I was down at Richmond I used to work the Mudgee area each Spring till the Summer heat burnt the flow off in Summer and a trip back to the Hawkesbury.
I don’t recall chalk Brood being a big issue for me then. Maybe conditions were so good and the hives ultra strong that if a hive got a really bad dose of chalk brood the other hives would rob it out as an easy target being weak. Then the hive could be taken over by a swarm which I wouldn’t have been aware of. Just my thought as possible.
When you do a cut out it is inevitable that you will have some dead brood and the colony will remove the dead from the hive Mike.
Did you know that Chalk Brood is now to be notified to the DPI in NSW, but I really wonder why as there is no ‘silver bullet’ for it and they seem too busy to check out AFB already.
Cheers Mike

Yes, Peter. I hadn’t paid much attention to it with AFB Awareness month in swing. Reading the DPI site, turns out it can be spread by bee drift and contaminated equipment. I guess as long as you’re inspecting for other diseases anyway and maintaining hygienic practices we can keep it in check. I suspect the DPI will visit your apiary on notification. They seem to travel far and wide to ensure we do the right thing.

1 Like