During the last few days, I have noticed a lot of crawling bees on the ground surrounding a nucleus I installed over the weekend. Most, but not all, have deformed wings. I would say that 90% with deformed wings have Varroa attached to them. Others with perfect wings I have picked up and examined also have Varroa crawling on them. Most but not all. I decided to attach a sticky board on Monday to get an idea of the amount of Varroa that is falling from the 10 frame brood box. Today’s count is roughly 140 (+/- 5) Varroa, which has dropped in the three days since I installed the board. You can see my count at the link where I initially picked out just under 100 visually here -> https://a.cl.ly/rRu6WzgD
Monday was a pretty and perfectly sunny day. I saw a lot of dead bees (well mostly drunk like crawling and or dying). Ants made quick work of them as the next day; most had been moved by the ants. I cleaned up the rest on Tuesday morning. Tuesday’s weather was overcast, and the number of the crawlers went down. Examining those crawlers, there where a large amount with Varroa on them, and some had battered wings while others were below average size, dark in color and some with tiny wings. The trend continued this afternoon with a count about the same as yesterday of crawling/dying bees. During my observation at noon today, I decided to take a few pictures of what I am finding with this colony. Hopefully, someone can direct me to a course of action that can improve the health and production of this colony. Curve the rise of the Varroa and see fewer crawlers. I was only able to post two links since I am new to the forum, links to one picture below.
Dead Bee with Varroa -> https://a.cl.ly/v1urjnw7
I would like to thank everyone in advance for any insight you can provide and hope anyone can further my understanding of the issue here.