Today, I have seen a lot of drones in the flow super - maybe 30 through the side window and 50-100 on top of the flow-frames. The all seem to be gathering on the underside to the plexiglass (perspex) inner cover and look like they really want to get out !!
I have not opened the hive nor pulled out a flow-frame yet, as I am not sure how to deal with this . . .
I have a good quality metal queen excluder in place since the day I added the flow super onto the brood box, so I have several questions :
- How did drones get into the flow super ?
- Should I just open the hive roof and inner cover and release them ?
- Should I pull out the flow-frames and take a look ?
- As well as the drones that are visible through the side window and on top of the frames, is it likely that there are lots more between the frames ? Will they get trapped there ?
- Will these drones cause any problem with the flow-hive cells or with the honey ?
I feel I need to take some action, but I’d like to understand what’s happening here, first . . .
Any and all advice is welcomed.