Fast crystallising honey

Hi guys,
We did a harvest 2 weeks ago and the honey has already crystalised. Never had that happen so fast.
Can anyone tell me what’s going on there?
Cheers
Ron

Hi Ron, we’re having the same thing happen up here. Wilma did a little research so she could pass the information on to a customer. Apparently honey that contains a high amount of glucose will crystallize faster than honey with a low amount of glucose. Apparently clover, dandelion, lavender are just a few honey sources that contain a higher %age of glucose.

Our honey is all gone within a few days of me harvesting it. We tell everyone that it’s crystallizing very fast at the moment.

Hi Wilma here. I will copy and paste some information.

Showing results for what part does glucose and sucrose play in the crystallization of honey
Search instead for what part does glucose and sucrose play in the crystalization of honey

The pollen in honey can also play a part in the binding process, because it provides a platform for the sugars to crystallize on. The crystallization process depends on a honey’s glucose-to-fructose ratio. If the honey has more glucose, then it will crystallize faster since glucose molecules are less soluble.

Wow, very interesting. Thank you for that info.
We normal hold back a few jars for neighbours and family and in 3 years we’ve never had it crystalise so fast.
Something must’ve changed environmentally this spring.
Cheers guys
Ron

You don’t have any fields of bright yellow Canola/Oil Seed Rape flowers around you, do you? That is infamous for crystallizing within a couple of weeks. The honey tastes good, but smells of overcooked cabbage, so you should be able to tell… :wink:

Not a lot of feilds like that in inner Sydney, although I hear theyre thinking about levelling Bondi to plant some.
:grin:

3 Likes

an interesting thing about honey is how differently it candies. I have jars that are three years old and are still liquid. Last week I left a little honey in my spinner and it had started to candy after 8 days. Some honey produces huge crystals others so small it is almost naturally creamed honey. Creamed honey is just candied honey with super tiny crystals.

I try and jar my honey up fast when it is still liquid to avoid having huge buckets full of solid honey that take ages to warm up and liquefy.

2 Likes

It is interesting, how much perception of honey changed. When and where I was growing up, crystalised honey was perfectly acceptable. It was not a good or a bad thing. It was just a fact of life - honey crystalises. Nobody even thought to heat it for sale or consumption. And now crystalised honey is something not unlike a shameful disease. If it happens it must be rectified ASAP :roll_eyes:

Not if my husband gets his hands on it! He loves the crunch, and the way it melts into the butter on hot toast… :wink:

1 Like

I’m the same, I prefer it, as long as it’s not too solid to spread.

Its not shameful at all. Honey that crystallises is a sign that your product is natural, not over processed and therefore more desirable. Commercial highly processed honey rarely crystallises. Draw you conclusions.
Tell your customers that the honey might crystallise and to heat it gently in a pan of water to decrystallise it if that it what they like.

In UK they sell specific jar labels for this purpose.

1 Like