First try at walk away split

Just had to share as I’m so excited!
My very first attempt at a walk away split 32 days ago, I inspected the split today to find lots of eggs and larvae. I couldn’t see the queen, but she sure has been busy! I took this split from my most healthy, robust, productive hive. Fingers crossed this hive proves to be as good. So happy with the result and I can thank reading this forum (and YouTube😉) for giving me the courage to just go ahead and give it a try!

4 Likes

Well done Penny, that’s a great result. It’s always good to find the first brood of a new queen in a DIY split.

1 Like

Is that a feeder on the left hive?

1 Like

Yes, I have a feeder in this hive as this is my problem hive🤦‍♀️! The middle hive is my new split from the hive on the right. I wanted to give this hive a boost. I have just culled some frames and added fresh frames in an attempt to get on top of chalkbrood. I have reduced this hive to one box and have added extra shade as it was really copping the heat. Fingers crossed it all helps as I have requeened as well and that didn’t seem to help.

Is obviously fine to feed a colony if they need it but be careful with entrance feeders - in hive feeders are less likely to cause robbing and associated problems.

Thanks so much for the warning.
The hive is in my back yard and I walk past them several times a day. Will keep an eye on them. It’s been in there one day and the bees don’t seem to be consuming much, if they aren’t too interested I will remove it tomorrow. Just thought they may need a little boost but if they aren’t interested, not much point in leaving it there. This hive is bringing in lots of pollen at the moment. Maybe nectar as well if they are not consuming the sugar water. Thanks again for the warning.