Flow Frame prep / Cleaning

Heavens, I didn’t realise. That seems OTT
My frames have three diagonal fishing lines.

Yes a lot of people do.

Well, the standard method for several thousand years was foundationless. After the invention of movable comb hives, it was foundationless. Don’t be misled by the dates of when foundation was invented, that is not when it was in common use. Foundationless has been in constant use from when man first met bees until now. Standard frames in the 1800s had a comb guide on them and were foundationless.

3 Likes

Michael - You have made me seriously reconsider the use of the plastic foundations and just use the frame with wire.
I have a meeting tonight with the local beekeepers assoc. I will also pull from their experience.
Thanks!
Rob

Their experience with foundationless is usually “none”. :slight_smile: But some mavericks out there have always been doing it. You may meet some of them…

Agree reading on my own and listening to what Michael has to say + (plus!!!) What Flow Hive themselves did with the Brood I only ever considered going Foundationless.

UPDATE - So I went to the Beekeeper meeting and had a chat with some of their mentors. The recommendation was to use the wax coated foundations. In this area (Northern New Jersey) it can get very hot and if you pull a frame out without a foundation it may droop because the comb will be soft. They implied as I gain more experience, then I can add foundation-less. But for the most part everyone uses foundations, even the experienced keepers in my area.

The bees keep the inside of the hive at a constant 35°C only if you have a baking hot climate and no shade will this happen - if it gets too hot the bees will die so they need some shade from fierce sun

It can droop even with foundation.
If you put foundation in before the bees really need to draw comb they play with it and then make holes in the bottom. This is the type of frame that needs careful handling in the heat when inspecting. We all get it. Freshly drawn comb is the worst. Once it has been brooded in it becomes stiffer.
BUT take care if it has been chewed…comb with brood in is heavy

Wow, they can chew through plastic? tough little critters arn’t they!?! :wink:

I’ve been told by many keepers in my area that I should place my hives where they get sun all day ere in NJ.

I doubt that they can chew through plastic foundation, but I think @Dee was probably referring to WAX foundation, not plastic. :blush: Plastic foundation is pretty rare in the UK, where Dee keeps her bees.

Well…if you will use the infernal stuff!

Dawn, as usual, is right

My wife is from England. Where about are you Dawn? Her family has moved over here now. She was from Bolton and went to University of Bradford.

I lived in Oxford for 20 years, but we moved to California nearly 19 years ago. My mother still lives near Gloucester - close to the border between England and Wales.

Sorry I got confused but now even more… Ok so Dee is from the UK but you were also Dawn… I love this board so many people from all over the world with the same interest…

You are not confused any more, you are correct! I am a British ex-pat, living in the US, with US citizenship, but I still have family and connections with the UK, so I stay somewhat in touch with the way things work in the UK too. All clear now? :smile:

Plus, I am VERY jealous of Dee’s Buckfast bees. I spent 7 years trying to track some down, but I never did find a supply before we left. I have always admired Brother Adam and his dedication to bee health. I don’t think they would be well-suited to San Diego though, so that dream has gone now. :cry: