Flow hive super on or off for winter

Hello,
My first year with flowhive didn’t yield any honey due to a late start. This year I did better but didn’t fill them all as I had to requeen mid season.
I have just drained 3 frames leaving 3 with around 30% full of capped honey.
I see a mix of people who leave the flow super on over winter and those who remove.
I which is the best for the UK?
The bees have about 3 frames of capped honey in the brood. Is it worth leaving the super on as a bit extra plus what they may forage in the next few weeks. West Yorkshire’s flow seems to be still going.

If people suggest removing, what’s the best way to clear the bees and best way to store the frames.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

I hope you all had a good season!

Thank you all!

1 Like

Hello,
This has been much discussed as the northern hemisphere beekeepers approach fall.

When you have the super in place at all (in the spring, summer, and fall) or over winter basically depends on your nectar flows and sort of secondarily on the temperatures.

If you have substantial nectar flow year around, then for the most part you can leave the super on an established colony. I am guessing you do not have winter flows, maybe you don’t have much in the fall but you would have to ask your local beekeepers and see what your bees are doing and if the hive is gaining weight.

If your flows are likely to crystallize, like rapeseed, then you may want to collect that in a traditional super.

As far as how to clear the bees - don’t over think it. You can physically remove them by shaking the frames or you can lean the box up near the hive entrance and the bees will make their way home.

2 Likes