Flow hive with hive stand or not

I’m planning to get my first flow hive and just wanted to know about people’s experience with the hive stand, as I’m not sure whether to get this or the standard hive.
Has anybody got the stand and loves it?
Has anybody got the stand and thought, nah, I could have done without it?
Has anybody now gotten a stand and wished that they did?

I would advise a hive stand as a great investment providing it is built so that the Flow Super top is at a height that you are not bending over unduly to lift it off and to have the brood box at a height that you are able to lift brood frames out as you do inspections. Being on a stand will help stop mice and other unwanted critters getting into the hive as well. A stand can be made of timber or steel if you are a handy-man type. Cinders blocks are an option but they can be an easy way for ants to get to the hive and honey.
Welcome to the forum Gavin where you will find friendly folk only too happy with advice and all you need do is ask. We have all started out so take your time, relax and enjoy your new addiction.:smiley:
Cheers, Peter

1 Like

Thanks Peter. The hive stand that comes with the flow hive only lifts it by 10cm or so at most. So you still need a table to keep the hive at a comfortable height. When you advise a stand, are you referring to the stand that comes with flow hive (at about $100 extra) or just any stand?

I regard the feet that come with a flow hive as nothing more than “feet” that are handy to help in leveling a hive. What I see as worth investing in is a stand that raises the hive up high enough to make working inside the hive a comfortable height. I build my stands so that the roof is about chest height so that the brood box can can be worked in without being bent over and resulting back ache.
Frankly I’m not seeing the ‘feet’ as ‘feature’ worth $100, I have my hives sitting on 75 by 60mm hardwood planks that are then sitting on two heights of cinder blocks. But if you want something more pleasing to the eye there are metal stands on EBay or apiary suppliers.
Cheers Peter

I love the flowhive 2 hive stand. I’m just waiting until we can buy them to upgrade our flow hive 1’s.

Hey Martha, I’m not knocking the feet for leveling a hive but they don’t raise the hive to a suitable working height to work inside the hive without bending over excessively. Those with a few hives it might not be that big an issue but after a days working in my apiary my back would scream for mercy. Hence I am an advocate in making or buying a hive stand. Raising the hive also helps with ‘critter control’ like mice, gecko, lizards, frogs and our cane toads.
Have I missed that Flow are now selling a hive stand?
Cheers, Peter

I am with Peter- I have without and with and I prefer without so long as you have the hives raised by a stand that is a good height. I put my flow stand on my other stand and it slides too easily so I would t recommend the stand from flow.

1 Like

Hi Tim, I’m a bit lost with your answer. You said that you prefer without as long as you have a stand, but then said that you recommend the stand from flow. It looks like you’re saying one thing then the opposite, but I’m sure I’m just misunderstanding something. Cheers.

1 Like

To add my 2 bobs worth, I find the flow1 bottom board easy for transporting bees, whereas the flow2 bottom board more challenging, on account of the legs altering the overall height. A traditional bottom board would be a good addition to have for the purpose of transporting & or moving the hive around.

If I had a choice, I’d choose a flow1 bottom board.

2 Likes

What I mean is that my original Flow Hives didn’t have a stand at all so I built one; it looks like a ladder that is laying horizontal with a couple of brace legs below to raise it about a foot or two off the ground, then I place my flow hives on it. In the newer flow hives mine came with the build in stand for the flow hive and I place that on top of the contraption I made. In this case, the stand from flow, even without the screw feet that could be attached, slides around on my homemade stand when I am working the hive which I don’t like. I prefer the non flow hive stand. If you go to my facebook web page you will see my setup which should help you understand what I’m talking about - the two cedar hives in the middle are on their flow hive stands on top of my homemade one
https://www.facebook.com/purdiegoodhoney/videos/2369320256465718/ or http://www.purdiegoodhoney.com and check out the videos / pictures of my hives.

1 Like

The Flow stand is like the pitched roof, pretty.
I reckon you’d need a stand to put the Flow stand on anyway to bring it up to a comfortable height so if you’re not after the pretty boutique look just throw together a stand, cinder blocks, wood, whatever and put the 100 bucks into a ventilated suit or something.
:wink:

2 Likes

I agree Peter that’s why mine is up on cinder blocks. It helps keep out skunks, opossums and rain water. But it still allows easy leveling etc.

1 Like