Flow super without queen excluder to start

I am going to be using my flow super for the first time this spring. I see many folks report trouble getting bees to drawn it out and use it, so am researching ways to stop that. I have waxed the frames to get them ready.

I was wondering if anyone has tried not using the queen excluder just until the bees move up into the box and start working it? I know there is a risk of the queen laying up there, but once it starts being used, I can shake all the bees down in the lower box and put the excluder back between them. Thoughts?

I really, really wouldn’t put the super on without the queen excluder. Too much risk of a mess.Once the queen lays drones in the Flow super, you will have cocoons and an unreliable flow drainage. Don’t do it is my advice. :wink:

2 Likes

There are several threads on this subject and there are some videos on YouTube with Cedar discussing it - it can be done but as some have mentioned - having adequate space for egg laying (including drone cells and/or natural drawn comb) in the single deep brood box can help but using a “honey bridge” or a second brood box seems to be more effective.

But as @Dawn_SD explains, not worth the risk to the flow frames, unless you are a master at cleaning them!

1 Like

Once the queen gets up there it’s a mess and it takes more than 21 days to resolve without killing baby bees. I too wondered about the queen excluder but after watching videos from once anti queen excluder proponents I’m taking the easier softer method of using it. I need one less bee mess to deal with because my fight is with hive beetles and other varmints, parasites, robber bees, ants, wasps and wax moth insects and a opossum. :smiley: