OK, so not sure where this post is going, but maybe just introducing and looking for some initial guidance.
So I was an original supporter back in 2014/5 and received the hive in Feb 2015…I’ve moved around a bit and never really got around to it (plus the wife kept veto-ing), but finally have settled in a permanent location in Austin, TX and finally decided to unbox and put this thing together.
I’ll attach/post better pictures later (at work…firewalled) https://imgur.com/a/yg0Ru
Did anyone paint or seal or oil the cedar? I’m concerned it will get waterlogged and rot. If not paint, did you oil/condition the wood and seal w/ a polyurethane?
So I’ve got a few questions about the build:
- there’s the white grid sheet. Is this the queen excluder?
- where does the sheet with the big circle hole go?
- i’m not sure which way the roof goes…it seems to be not aligning well. Is the short side go on the access side or the other side?
Regarding placements of the hive:
- It gets windy here in central TX. These boxes/roof/sections feel like they would blow apart and separate. Does anyone ever strap the pieces down/together? I was thinking using those wide/flat ratchet straps.
- What did yall use for a ‘stand’ for the hive? I don’t think I can just place it on the ground. Did you make your own stands?