Frames for Lock Down

We’re beginning out first ever lock down!!! Yeah. Yesterday I completed the 200 frames I started last week, ready for foundation, in readiness for the spring buildup.

I have 80 unasembled that I put off for another day. I might as well commence them, seeing as I can’t go anywhere, plus the forecast is 80-100% chance of rain.

1 Like

Geez yeah, sorry to hear it Jeff! I hope things get better soon and you & Wilma stay safe.

At least there’s always something to do around your house! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

I think you use wax foundation which may not be stiff enough for my assembly technique.

I have been using double wax coated black plastic foundation and I found that assembling the frames with the foundation in place helps me get it all square and completely assembled in one go without a frame assembly jig.

I put the top bars on the table upside down, put glue on the side bars, push them on, put the foundation into the groove of the bottom bar and press this into the top bar-side bar assembly. I push the frames one side or the other to make sure everything is square and then put a 1/4” x 1.5” SS staple in each corner. I can do 10 frames in 5 minutes this way. Then put them between my basement rafters to dry, although, they are secure enough with the staples to use right away.

I’m sure that everyone has their own method but this has been the fastest way for me.

1 Like

Hey folk, I know it’s a bit of a consuming topic on the hive mind right now (and particularly feeling for those immediately impacted in one way or another), but I need to ask if you can all please remove the vaccination chat from your posts on this thread, it’s way off topic for a beekeeping forum and can additionally be a bit of a sensitive and sometimes polarising topic. I reckon directly relevant content, like that you’re spending your time in lock down repainting your hive or doing an online beekeeping course, or heard that bees react to the pheromones in a particular medication - that sort of thing - is fine. But let’s keep the politics out of it for the forum. Thanks so much! (Trust I can leave for you to self edit and won’t need to remove comments on your behalf - thanks all).
Bee safe n well :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Free, that’s no problem at all except that the editing feature has gone from my post. I’ll bare that in mind going forward.

cheers

Edit, Hi @chau06 , I only just now read your frame making technique. 10 frames in 5 minutes sounds pretty attractive. It takes me a solid hour to assemble & wire up 10 frames ready for foundation. I did a quick search & can’t find any double waxed plastic foundation here in Au. I’m not sure if I’d be prepared to tackle double waxing plastic foundation myself as a cost cutting measure.

2 Likes