General this and that for some chit chat

I was missing my flow hive compadres and so I wish to check in and say hello from Tennessee. Last summer was a crazy drought season for me and I had to buy sugar by the 50lb sack to supplement what the bees were unable to obtain on their own. I fed them from August to October 5 gallons a day for 4 hives and it wasn’t enough. I lost 2 hives of 4 (robbing by even by neighbors hives etc) Last year I had a record spring harvest too.

At any rate this year got off to a crazy start. I have 2 strong hives and 2 nuks recently installed. We had some high winds which cracked 2 trees at the base which then caused the trees dangle over my hives and I needed to have them removed. The tree removal company worked with me for the least stress on the bees. I really don’t know if there is a better way to do this so please offer your suggestions. I closed the bees in at night with a giant paint mixing stick and stuck a 2.4 under the bee stand and used a ratchet strap to hold them together. Then my friend and I walked them across my yard like king tut visiting the citizens and left them there until the tree service removed the trees. The guys came at the crack of dawn and felled the trees and helped me move them back into position. The bees did not appear stressed in the least but then I really can’t say that for a fact, just by how it looked.

Can I stack 2 flow supers on one hive successfully? Seems a bit iffy but hey I don’t want to mess with wax frames supers so that they can fan the water off. They are filling my supers up fast this year.

I miss yall and hope your beekeeping is spectacular!

1 Like