Given an infested failing hive help?

Do you really believe giving frames a rinse will eliminate diseases and issues of SHB and wax moth?
I would also not sell you frames of brood, at any price. My reason would be that the brood will very likely die. I respect you motive in trying to save the colony but at some point you need to consider that no matter what you do the colony is going to die. Consider for a moment, and I am only guessing, that you told your sister-in-law about your hive and that you wanted healthy frames of brood to add to hive and she is not prepared to sell you frames for that purpose. Just my thoughts of course.
Cheers

I froze those for 4 days if you had read threw all the other post you would know that. The bees them selves are doing alright. I told her everything about them. The reason she wouldnt is she had the same issue as has alot of the people around Here. Assuming is very much a wrong move. In fact 2 of her 4 hives are queenless and she keeps having to take from her strong hives her self or she would have. Though while yes I realize the chances are low it will make it The numbers in the hive are still decently high. So as long as they except their queen we might manage. Between everything. Granted Iā€™m trying to be highly optimistic. Peter48 I really didnt ask for snarky arrogant pompas replies though. as Ive acknowledged the whole time its a slim chance with how late in the season but still a chance how ever small.

At this point if its not positive advise please dont respond. I dont care about any snide comments. You could have been polite and the you wouldnt sell me brood was not nessisarry. Thank you to those that have been supportive while also politely saying that the hive is still likely to fade. Iā€™m very much aware and thank you again to those people. Ive gotten some nice advise as well.

But I didnā€™t read what treatment you have done to the base board, roof or boxes or are you assuming that they canā€™t have an issue? Sometimes we are not told everything so we assume on what is the most likely scenario, but we still try to help with advice.
None of my advice is meant to be snarky or pom-pas, my concern is for your bees and any bees you add to the hive. Nothing I have said should be taken as offensive as nothing is said in that way, but advice is based on the information you have provided and on my experience ok. Iā€™m cool at not offering my advice and tips if they are not of your liking.
Good luck.

I had compleatly taken apart the whole hive and had them in a whole New set up minus the honey which all of that was in the comments I have also taken down the whole other one and sanitized it and put it away for next year. Which I also stated they will be moved once more to a brand new apimaye hive next week seen as payday is Thursday and shipping is 4 days. Which the advice on the vinagar and salt advice I had not known and did use.

Iā€™m sorry that I asked you questions so that I had better information to give you advice. Good luck

Iā€™m picking up on what you say about the numbers being decently high. Given that bees only live for around 7 weeks, Iā€™d be surprised if you had enough bees to stay the course, seeing as it takes 21 days after eggs are laid before any new bees are added to the rapidly depleting population. The worse case scenario at this stage is youā€™re out of pocket for that new queen. Everything you have learned can be put to good use going forward, so thatā€™s not wasted.

1 Like

Right that all Iā€™m aware of. My thought process was that of Iā€™m trying worst case out money for queen and my time spent. Thats why I said down fall is probably going to be the lack of brood now. Thank you for the advice Iā€™m aware alot wont know these things and might stumble apon this later and find it helpful as well.

Fair enough WP, I didnā€™t read that part.

I did get them queen right I checked today. I did procure some brood from my sister in law. I bought her a queen so she gladly gave me some since her fear was her 2 hives that didnt have a queen. Ive got some freshly hatched nurse bees and all looks good so far. I may have done it. Another week and we should have a better idea. I hope I pulled it off. Iā€™m still guarded on the prognosis of the hive but we are definitely moving in the right direction.

1 Like

Well done WP. Thatā€™s fantastic. If your friendship can stretch a bit further to get another frame of brood in a weekā€™s time, then another one a week later, that would really help your colony. Especially if your sister-in-lawā€™s colony accepts the queen you provided.
cheers

1 Like

She said she will help as much as she can. But hers are struggling too.

1 Like

Sounds like you have done well. This isnā€™t the time of year with your climate to steal brood from another hive that is winding down for winter, so I understand your dilemma. :thinking:

I agree with Dawn, itā€™s just a shame youā€™re not in spring. Youā€™ll have to find somewhere warm for the hive to overwinter, should they make it that far.

I know you havenā€™t asked for any advice on behalf of your sister-in-law, however seeing as she had 2 queenless hives & one new queen whether shā€™d be better off combining those colonies to give them a better chance of surviving the winter. Just a thought.

2 Likes

I did ask her if she wanted to maybe split that hive between both our hives to strengthen both of those but she wants to keep both separate. Either way Iā€™m working on trying to get her another queen. As for mine I was looking at making a heated wrap.

1 Like

If you donā€™t need a local queen, these guys have excellent queens. I recommend them with no hesitation, really nice people:

They are who I got my queen from actually.

1 Like

I have had several queens from them. All excellent, well-mated and superb worker bees from them. :blush: