Sorry folks, I missed all the warning signs, and my hive went to swarm… or did it?
Tiny bit of background.
- Am a Novice, in Geelong (near Melb, AU)
- Got a Nuc of bees 10 months ago in the middle of summer.
- They didn’t really start filling the Flow frames until a couple of months ago, towards the end of our winter.
- Certainly with a very wet spring, they have been going nuts… but I was complacent, and thought I had more time that I did… So I failed to harvest, or put on another box for them to expand into.
- You can see from one of the pics below, that they started building comb in the roof, above the Flow Frames, so obviously pressed for space.
3 days ago now, they swarmed - were flying around everywhere, going a bit crazy. Was nothing I could do, and was just heading out to go away for the weekend, so just had to leave it.
Back today and inspected the hive. The honey did indeed appear to be gone from the Flow Frames (oh how so depressing)! But there were still heaps of bees inside - both the Flow frames, and the Brood box were teaming with bees - I had expected to find them mostly empty. So is there a chance they came back into the hive?
I know I need to inspect for extra Queen cells etc (and find the original, if there); and I’ll get help with that from a more experienced beekeeper I know; until I get skilled up.
I tried to inspect lower into the brood box; but the bees were a bit grumpy, and not calming down from the smoker, and so I didn’t venture into the bottom box except to see that there were heaps of bees inside.
Any tips on any immediate steps I can take, apart from give my hive to someone who knows what they are doing? I will learn, I promise!
The box on the ground is the extra brood box I should have put on top.
Comb in the roof.