Helpful flyer for neighbors?

Does anyone have a flyer/blurb/whatever that i could repurpose for myself to help educate my neighbors about bees/pesticides/herbicides? My hive is in the process of dying from poisoning and I’d like to try and help avoid this in the future. thanks in advance

2 Likes

I think several years ago @Bobby_Thanepohn wrote a masterpiece to convince local authorities not to spray insecticides. If he is still active on the Forum, maybe he could share something useful with you.

2 Likes

I thought I posted that letter here in the forums…

2 Likes

So sorry to hear about your hive @RyanKunk :disappointed_relieved:

Ah OK, as Bobby didn’t have it immediately to hand, I used my long term library search skills:

:blush:

1 Like

i also found this

Ah yes, Hilary Kearney. I would say “good old Hilary”, but she is probably less than half my age. :rofl: Anyhow, most of her info is very good, and she has a lot of experience, so the leaflet should be very useful. :wink:

and per her advice i restricted the entrance and put a feeder on temporarily and the bees seem to be doing ok for the time being and the rate of death seems to have slowed.

1 Like

Is that water or syrup on top of the hive? :wink: Ah, OK, it is syrup. I would have taken the Flow super off first. Syrup in your honey harvest is not the most desirable of things. :blush:

It’s a 1:1 simple syrup. I have a couple of water sources vet close by as well

1 Like

Yeah I almost took the super off but there was a ton of them taking refuge in the super so I felt like it might be less disruptive

1 Like

Fair enough. If they do store any syrup in the Flow frames, you could always harvest it later and feed it back to them over winter. :wink:

I have tasted “honey” made from mostly syrup. It doesn’t taste bad, just rather bland compared with real honey. Unless you put Honey B Healthy in the feeder, in which case the honey tastes downright weird! :blush: (No, it wasn’t my syrup honey! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )