Hit The Mother Load!

Two Full Frames of beautiful all natural Honey…

Brilliant… :grin:

8 Likes

Well done Andrew, is that 7 kilos including the bucket. Even if it is, that’s still over 3 kilos per frame. It’s great to see some good results. Especially after seeing some people getting between 1-2 kilos per frame.

1 Like

Woo wee…that’s sure looks good from here!

yes, I weighed the bucket and tubes by itself and it came up at 800 Grams…

so that’s a full 3 Kilograms Per Frame…

I only got 2 Kilograms per frame last time as I thought that they were full… so I guess I was wrong…

mind you… the honey has been exceptional out of both lots that I’ve harvested… :slight_smile:

so that’s it for me this season… the rest of the honey will be winter stocks… that will give them around 6 weeks of stores… the last of the Gum Flowering is happening now which will last until April so they should get plenty of stores…

4 Likes

You are an inspiration, Andrew! My husband was so excited when I told him about your result.

We have heard some people discussing that different frames may have different nectar combinations in them. For that reason, we decided to go with one jar per frame, rather than a blend in the bucket. I am sure that the honey will be exceptional anyway!

I am looking forward to comparing Flow honey with comb honey, and also with extracted honey from the same hive, if possible. I would like to test whether traditional extraction really makes a big difference to taste.

Dawn

1 Like

Mid January the Flow Frames were put on and were dead empty… I have since harvested 14kgs of honey :slight_smile:
there is still plenty coming in but I will leave all of that for the bees for the upcoming winter…

the other reason that I don’t want to harvest anymore is to let the bees seal the hive for protection against weather and pests…

I noticed yesterday that I they had open cracks again between the flow frames that I disturbed, so time to let them bee …

so far, with my own observations, for a backyard beekeeper i’d be going all Flow Frames…

by the way…

when opening the frames… I inserted the key just a little at a time and gave it a bit of a twist working my way down the whole frame…

it opened up much easier than trying to open it all at once…

1 Like

Amazing how much resistance you can get from a thin layer of wax and a bit of thick fluid! :slight_smile:

1 Like