Hive Placement Distance From Fence Line

I didn’t have much option, as it is a relatively small courtyard and we use the space. While i wouldn’t mind bees, i have staff and family/friends that sit out there. Having the hive face into the courtyard would have meant the sitting areas were right in the path the bees would be taking!

There is really no issue for them. As mentioned, they either crawl out on the landing board or straight up the front of the hive then take off either straight out sideways or in a circular climb then over one of the 2 walls. And the neighbours haven’t seen a one of them in there yards at all since they arrived. Although, one neighbour who has their clothesline right up against the wall beside the hive has seen little yellow drops of bee ‘poo’ on her sheets. A promised pot of honey when i finally extract and a day of visiting and learning about the hive and she’s fine.

Yes, only about 5 weeks ago now. But was slightly more than a NUC with 6 full frames and 2 new ones. Initially the hive was put together with the super as there was a heavy nectar flow but after annoying the good people on this forum [(this is one of the many threads i’ve been getting loads of good advice on)] over the last few weeks it was removed and only replaced in the last week as the numbers in the hive grew to the point that it was warranted.

Further to this, I spend A LOT of time out there just watching them through the day (to the point where my office is now the table beside the hive :slight_smile:) and I’ve never seen a single EHB on any of the flowers. Native Australian bees however, at least 4 kinds now!

In saying that though:

• i live right next to the sprawling University of Sydney campus which is heavily planted with both native and non native flowering trees
  • one block in the other direction are 5 parks full of flowering plants and flowering trees

so, something is in bloom at any given point and I imagine they are off in one of those directions. Perhaps when the flowering dies down further into summer they may sample the ‘local’ plants. Hope so, i spent a fortune on them!

Finally starting the hive has been a huge learning curve and tonnes of fun. Welcome to the obsession.

1 Like