Well, folks…as luck would have it, some decisions were made for me this afternoon when we got a swarm call. So, after collecting that, I emptied out a deep and put good frames (some with honey from the freezer, some drawn out, some new) into that deep box and dumped the swarm in there.
That was followed by the screen as suggested by Dee; and then a deep box of bees from the original worker-laying hive (along with their frames of spotty drone brood), followed by the honey super that also had worker brood in it. I topped that off with an inner cover that has an exit hole from the top just under the roof.
As I understand it, after about 3 days (I may leave it longer) those laying workers should sense the pheromone from the new queen and stop laying. I will just have to wait for the drone brood to hatch out before trying to extract those honey supers with a slow extraction. Once the honey is out, I will scrape that comb off from the plastic foundation and recycle it.
Of my 6 Flow Frames, only 3 had drone brood…and 2 of those was just a tiny area. I may explore options for cleaning out those few cells. One frame is going to get the power wash treatment, as there is not enough capped honey to bother with.
Dawn, I should have a pretty strong hive going into winter with this combining. What an experience, though. I don’t want to repeat it! Now I know why people say, “You don’t want to get a laying worker situation!”
Oh, BTW, I ended up moving this hive about 50’ away from where it was. I know this doesn’t stick to the 2’ or 2 mi rule; but it is what it is. If that other population can’t find their way home, so be it!