How to manage the frames

Hi there all just got a few questions to ask regarding my beehive . So today I opened the hive for an inspection and all seems well. The brood box was very full of honey and brood . What my question is if this looks too full should I put a frame or too into the super and can this honey be extracted from there . And also if you remove frames that are capped from the super for a few days too extract honey , should you put new frames straight in to replace these or put the old frames back in once the honey extraction is complete kind regards

1 Like

Not sure what you mean by

If you have a super on already (with QX) the bees will move honey up to the super frames.
If you don’t have a super on and your brood box is 90% full with honey, brood and pollen, then put a super on. Always put a full box of frames on unless you have “followers” to take up the space. If you have a box with only a few frames in you can bet you bottom dollar the bees will just build comb every which way and not in the frames.

2 Likes

Hi busso I have full hive with 9 frames in super wich are getting filled out I was just meaning should I take a brood frame or two and put it in super let them bees hatch and let the bees then fill it with honey .

1 Like

Hi Chad, that’s basically what I do. I move frames up or down, depending on the circumstances. I like to keep the best looking frames in the brood. If a colony gets real strong, I split it. In that case I’m removing brood frames, with or without bees away from the hive.

2 Likes

I assume you have a QX installed, In the brood box the outer frames are usually used as a honey store and sometimes there is cells of pollen, I would leave that for the bees for when/if they need it to feed brood. I make sure I have stickies (preferably) or wax foundation in frames to immediately fit into the super to keep the frame numbers right. During a flow I have seen my bees building wonky comb in the gaps where frames were taken from when frames were returned the next day and a lot of their effort destroyed, so a lesson learnt.
Cheers