I have received the flow hive and will soon get a new nuc hive set up in its new home. My current method for keeping bees is “the rotation” method (also known as the up-and-out method) where I have a typical 3 box high langstroth hive:
- bottom box is the brood box with queen excluder on top
- middle box is the “rotation” chamber
- top box is the honey super
I go into the hive on a very regular basis (2-3 weeks) and:
- take any capped honey from the top box;
- move uncapped frames where worker brood has hatched from the middle box to the top
- move only capped worker brood up to the rotation chamber above the queen excluder into the middle.
- fill in any gaps in the brood box with new frames and fresh foundation
This system keeps the bees really busy and works well. Has anyone tried this method with the flow hive?