I got 2 phone calls yesterday. The first one was to tell me about the hundreds of dead bees outside of one of 3 flow hives 2 days after harvesting honey from 2 frames out of that hive.
All I could think of was that it had to do with something that happened during the harvest process…
The thing is that bees were staggering out of the hive, then dying on the ground with tongues extended. We figured that they must have picked up some poison from somewhere.
In the second phone call during his lunch break at work, he revealed that there was a bit of flooding and that he had previously installed some SHB baits, the type that beetles can enter but bees can’t. He proposed to me that maybe honey could have flooded the SHB baits, contaminating the honey before the bees lapped it up. Therefore through transfer of honey from bee to bee, as they do, hundreds of bees dead outside of the hive.
I agreed that that was most likely the cause of the dead bees.