My wife was kind enough to record the nuc install. The video is very boring in my opinion.
Everything went really well. There were quite a few small hive beetles (SHB) in the nuc box and even a dead wax moth. After transferring all of the frames I set the nuc box next the hive and after about 10 minutes the bees figured out how to get into the hive and after 20 minutes 80% of the bees left in the nuc box had moved into the hive. I can already tell I will be spending a lot of time sitting in front of the hive watching the bees.
- I checked my oil tray before it got dark and there were already 10 SHB in it! (I guess it works!)
- My entrance reducer has 6 or 7 holes in it that are large enough for 1 bee. I initially reduced it down to 4 holes, but, I think that was too much as it caused a traffic jam.
- Within the 1st hour, the bees were already foraging quite a bit of pollen, I was very surprised.
- Watching the bees left behind in the nuc box figure out how to get into the hive was really neat. At first, I thought they would never figure it out, and eventually 1 bee figured it out. Then in a matter of about 5 minutes the entrance was covered with bees trying to get in.