Is this chalk brood? If so, please help šŸ˜”

Hi Dawn, itā€™s the third photo down & the frame on the right. It looks a little bit shiny & wet. It isnā€™t all that clear in the photo. If it is wet, that will be SHB slyme. Itā€™s all a sad sight. I would clean everything up, including the frames, Iā€™d scorch everything & start again.

Shb & wax moth seem to co-exist without any problems in turning a dead & dying beehive into a nice pile of rich organic matter.

1 Like

no bee import into Kauai. :frowning: bummed.

Removed most all the bad frames condensed it to 8 and one box will then freeze all the other frames and am looking for bees. Will try to find, took me 6 months to find these and only had since August. Have good Holidays. Will check in if I get more bees. I will put out traps the next time. I had no idea. TaTa as some say. So bummed I wont get to use my flow hive.

How about doing a cut out of a feral colony when you have things cleaned up? Apparently you need to freeze your frames 48 hours to kill wax moth.

1 Like

The photo of the screened bottom board shows something pretty cool. Those little white cigar shaped things are the silk cocoons of a parasitoid wasp that lays itā€™s eggs in the wax moth larvae. The wasp larvae hatch and eat the wax moth larva from the inside, eventually popping out to pupate, leaving behind a dried husk of a wax moth caterpillar. If you look closely, you can see the exit hole in the ends of some of the cocoons where the wasp emerged. Theyā€™ve been looked at for biocontrol, but so far nothingā€™s come of it.
Cheers,
Kristina
Boulder, CO, USA

4 Likes

Frames are freezing and for a small island there are a lot of beekeepers looking for bees. Trying to reach out but I am a newbee with way more experienced folks who have their finger on the pulse. Searching and even a friend mentioned putting a pheromone in my hive as I do have one comb that I hope is still saved have to go look but it has been winter stormy. Thanks and Happy New Year.

Thank you, I thought I saw there was a mixture you could make as a wax moth lure? you place it outside the hive? Here is the thing, this is Hawaii and if we have anything as an Organic farmer the one thing I know is we have bugs. I only had the 7 frame hive for 3 months and actually it was crowded and I did add a box. I think the hive was a week hive as the other hive on the farm is healthy. But wondering besides wax moth, ants and small hive beetle , which I put traps out for, what else can I anticipate to attack hives. I even had a chameleon on the hive and wondered what is that eating? Happy New Year.

Well, lizards are probably eating bees, but not a lot. I donā€™t know of any wax moth lures, but I would hesitate to put out anything like that to avoid attracting them to the general area. The best defense against waxmoths is a strong hive of bees.
All beekeeping is local. Your best bet is to find a local beekeeping group to help you with beekeeping in your area. Try to find a good beekeeping class too. Here are some places to start:
www.hawaiibeekeepers.org/
www.kauaibeekeepersassociation.com/
hdoa.hawaii.gov/pi/bee-faqs/
Need more? Just do a google search for beekeeping in Hawaii.
Cheers,
Kristina
Boulder, CO

2 Likes

Thanks I actually got my hive from the pres of the Kauai Beekeepers. But that was it. It will be like finding a needle in a haystack and then jumping at it. As I mentioned before Kauai does not import bees even from other islands. Too new to try catch a swarm am doing my best without beeing a pest but I am sadly packing up my flow hive serious financial hit for my little farm. I may put an add on Craigslist. I think I am going to work on our association.