Liquid bees wax finish for cedar

I agree with Jeff. White is the go to colour :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Hi Cirode. Nothing wrong with a pretty hive but before considering them garden furniture, consider the welfare of bees first and foremost.

I am concerned about that dark roof especially if they are going to be in the sun. Although your climate there is milder than ours here, a hot spell can make that hive very uncomfortable for the bees.

Last year Perth had 7 times more than the average days above 40deg during summer. There is a reason why hives are generally painted white or light colours.

3 Likes

Makes sense @Smoke. On the mountain here though we’re a lot milder even than melbourne. Definitely more mild than Cedars place in northern NSW would be. i’ll keep an eye out though and if it’s a problem it can change later on

Use your hand as a guide. If the roof feels hot to touch on a sunny day, you would need to change the color, so that it doesn’t feel so hot.

2 Likes

best to do tung oil fiest and When its dry cote the hive with melted bees wax it warterprof your hive

Bees wax furniture polish may be a suitable option for cedar outdoor furniture. Gillys liquid beeswax, found at Bunnings, could potentially enhance the natural grain of cedar while providing weather protection. However, it’s essential to ensure its safety for use on a beehive.