Major flow on in Adelaide plains right now- happy days

People chasing nucs has relieved the pressure off me. Lots of new beekeepers with new flow hives :slight_smile: There are lots of conventional hives as well.

PS Jack, I just reread your post. 15 swarms & 6 splits in 8 weeks sounds like a walk in the park. Believe me, you’ll get faster at doing everything. You’ll develop a rhythm.

One thing to always bare in mind when under pressure is you can save some time by using foundationless frames, at least until the pressure eases. Then you can sort them out later on.

1 Like

That wasn’t all I was doing Jeff… I’ve sold 8 hives, installed 3 more, 3 cutouts, built 180 frames, wired 120, supered hives, cut comb, spun honey, etc. And I run an actual full time business as well. :slight_smile: but still yes- I get more efficient all the time. Part of that will be geographically consolidating my apiaries- currently too much inefficient transit time.

2 Likes

It’s so exciting to see honey being stored in the flow hive. I got excited looking at your photos. :smiley:

1 Like

Hi Jack do you watch “Insight” on SBS? The last episode’s topic was “Burnout”. This dairy farmer was saying he works between 100-120 hours a week with his boots on. That’s serious hours, considering there is only 168 hours in total. We all need 8 hours sleep. That accounts for 56 hours. That would mean he’s eating while working, 7 days a week, non stop. I actually wondered how he found time to go on the show.

2 Likes

I caught that program and it was really an insight into how many hours he put into his business doing the hard yards just to keep going.
How lucky we are to have the SBS and ABC with worthwhile programs,
Cheers

2 Likes

Hi Pete, I only watched 20 minutes of it. It was getting past my bedtime.

I put in some long hours while I was fishing in the earlier days. I’d be up before daybreak, then I’d be still fishing til 1or2 the next morning, on a moonlight night that was. I used to reckon 4 hours sleep was enough. I’d do that for 4 days straight before coming home to get stuck into the bees. I used to like no moon because I wouldn’t get tempted to start looking for more fish after dark.

On this trip some fish came on the bite after dark 2 nights running with no moon whatsoever.

I made this video to show how we brain spike (Iki Jime) the snapper. That kills the fish outright, combined with a thick icy slurry results in a superior product.
cheers
2 Likes

I miss catching a feed of fish of a night when I was cruising on my yacht, It gave me time to realize how good I had it. Some busy evenings on the drift or anchored up on a reef and I would have a few days fish in the freezer. They were great days. Thanks for the video mate.

1 Like

You’re welcome Pete, I miss those days also. I feel nostalgic when watching those videos.

1 Like