Materials of construction...flow hive

HI there,

am excited about trying this hive, and i know a lot of controversy around it…

I do have one question, and i cant find any comments.
The plastic…i come from a science background and the world is increasingly worried about the leaching form plastics…lots of research shows there is leaching…so with that said…can the plastic contaminate or otherwsie be detrimental to bees. would hate to hurt them , esp after going thru the trouble to start a hive…

dont worry, i want to try it, but am interested in any research that may have been done on this question.
thanks

I am a medical doctor and have done a lot of biological research too (actually a lot of it uses plastics!). Anyhow, I think you should know that the plastic components of the hive are made from approved food-grade plastic, and should not leach or pose any risk of contaminating the honey. Plastic foundation, frames and queen excluders have been in use for many years, and no concerns have arisen from them.

I don’t see any reason to worry about this.

Just my 2 cents’

Dawn

Thanks for the info.

Does anyone have the exact type of plastic used? the BPA issue is really the main issue, it binds with estrogen receptors and some feel this is some of the cause for all the early puberty we are seeing in females. I just wish to know what version of plastic they are using in the construction.

I love this idea overall…i just have realized that so many unintended consequences of things happen, and I would like to feel comfortable that i am making things better, not worse.

THanks again…any comments are welcome

As a former paediatrician, I blame obesity more than BPA for early puberty… :wink:

However, to answer your question directly from the Flow FAQs:
http://www.honeyflow.com/faqs/are-the-flow-frames-made-from-bpa-free-plastic/p/57

Hope that helps.

Dawn

obesity yes…too much fat percentage too early in childhood, but i think we are seeing some other causes as well. in our area, we are seeing a stunning rise in this issue. its so common its frightening.

not the place for discussion of this, but i simply cant see obesity as the ONLY cause…so many products being so processed with so much we dont know…mass production of food at a level unseen previously…such a shame…

and oh, thanks for the link…this explains…

does anyone have longevity of the combs, before they need replacing??

No field testing on the commercial product yet, but estimates are 2 - 15 years :slightly_smiling:

Many people have plastic frames/foundation, including legendary natural beekeeper Michael Bush, which are at the older end of this range and still serviceable.

Dawn n Cinder,

Good info, read n conversation on what’s on all our brains/minds. Thankz for the chit-chat on this thread. All three of my hive setup are plastic foundation for the brood boxes. When it gets to my actually honey frames the jury is out on that ( as it will depend on comb honey or just spun honey)… We only had wax n wire back when I was active in the 1950’s n 60’s. Things have changed ! I enjoy these open forum format to learn, sharing n maybe even open debate. Again thankz my friend n fellow beemates …

Gerald in Washington the State :wink:

Great. ! That’s good news

Any other suggestions or ‘need to knows’ prior to starting hive and preferred seller of bees/queen
Thx

Flow frames are made out of polypropylene which is only classified as a low to moderate hazard by the EWG (Environmental Working Group) It should be fine.

My guess would be all the hormones and antibiotics that the livestock (cows, chicken, pigs) are filled with in order to gain more weight for slaughter, not the plastics.

That’s what I had heard but that was soundly debunked when told that hormones have been additive for decades and rise doesn’t match the time frame. Addln it’s increasing. Percentage of body fat apparently is huge when reproductive capability and hormonal cycle begins. Evolutionarily. Earlier to procreate ensures survival of species in Wild. But obviously we don’t want you g girls reproducing

Spring has Sprung in Washington State daily temps seem to be riding a few degrees above the curve. This is bringing on the buds n flower in Puget Sound n Easten Foothill country. I’ve already seen our Witch Hazel pop out as well as crocus ! Driving around this last weekend I saw numerous pussy willow buds in warmer locals. The Springbrook white n pink heather are now showing verywhere as well. I am carefully observing our native Indian Plum as well that I posted the pix of. This native is a great early source of pollen n nectar. I would guess most will be out this week as mild temps are in the Wx forecast.

Wishing my bees had arrived but not until mid April 2016. Mine will miss this early rush of Spring floral blossom this year. I am still visiting my buddies hives in Maple Valley to wet my observation taste buds …

So excited in Coalfield east of Renton,
Gerald

Crocus popping up out of my lawn where a squirrel must have hide them several years ago. These cromes keep coming back n slowly multiplyingb

pink n white heather is now in bloom everywhere in Puget Sound as well as Pussy Willows.

Beautiful!! :slightly_smiling: