It’s not even mid-winter, however we’re past the shortest day & it’s time for me to start splitting some of my colonies. I noticed one colony from my 2nd bee site in Kuluin was chock-a-block full of bees, so I decided to split it. This frame is one of the 4 frames, with bees, minus the queen that I took. I took 4 similar frames from another colony & combined them into one colony.
I’ll be going back again today to do something similar with 3 other colonies out of the 8 in total hives.
The bees are building brood right up to the top bars. Also right out to the outside frames. With all of the sealed brood in this & other frames, the hive was set for a population explosion & imminent swarm preparations.