Millions of bees die on tarmac

Here’s a heartbreaking story about how millions of bees died on a tarmac after being rerouted from Alaska to Atlanta.

bees + shipping = lots of problems

This side up

So sad.

She lost $48,000 worth of bees. Last year, I lost about $150 worth of bees to a shipping fiasco.
White glove delivery seems to be the answer….even if you are the one who has to drive them cross country.

Here’s my experience.

1 Like

Oh Claire, I remember your story and couldn’t bear to even open the link about this latest disaster. I had no clue about all this when I first started beekeeping. Once I learned, I found an experienced local beek to buy nucs from when I need them. Easy for me with just a hobby to keep up…:pensive:

Hi Eva, Last month I drove up to Pierco in Riverside to pick up a package of bees. They’re located about 100 miles north of San Diego. Pierco does not ship bees, and I respect them for that. Instead, they have a bee pickup day and you drive up to their loading dock. It was fun to meet other people waiting in line. I put the crate in a net bag that I made, just in case any escaped.

On the way home I stopped at the famous Tios Tacos. I installed the bees in the afternoon, and they were in good shape.

All in all, a much better experience than last time!

2 Likes

I saw this report last night and it’s sad. It makes you wonder what the airlines does shipping other animals too.

Well, Simon the Giant Rabbit perished in the hands of United Airlines some time ago. He was going to be used for breeding… :cry:

I agree with @claire_c , the best way to get your bees in good condition is to pick them up yourself, if possible. Of course for some locations, that just isn’t viable, so we are then at the hands of the shippers. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes