Minimum distance for moving Hives

I have 2 hives I’d like to move 700m and know I have to take them a distance.

I have a place but it’s only 3km as the crow flies. Is that far enough or do I have to go further?
He has a pear orchard thats about to bloom so is suitable.

How long would I have to move them for?

What’s the minimum distance?

3 miles is oft quoted. It can be less if there is some geographical feature in the way of the bees return home. 3 weeks would do it

Hi, I have at least a dozen hives scattered through my neighbourhood which are never more than 1 km away. Whether its luck or something else, I have never found any foragers returning to my place after moving established hives to these sites, the most recent was 400m away. I move only after dark and place branches across the entrance to reset their little satnav’s. Seems to work.

1 Like

When you moved them after dark, did you have to leave them closed in the hive for 24hrs or more, then place a branch at the entrance?

I have a situation where I places two nucs in a location for about 24hrs and have to move them about 200m or so but with a huge building separating the two locations. They are still closed in from last night. Do you think I have to close them in any longer for them to reorient themselves to this new location or can I simply place branches at the entrance and let them out?

Thanks

Hi Brian, no as the area around them has completely changed so they re-orientate anyway. To begin with I expected to get a few foragers back at the original site, but was surprised when none turned up.
If they have been closed the whole time then they wouldn’t be able to perform their orientation so you should be right. Otherwise, try the branches method, I haven’t had much success with the branches however others swear by it.