Mold on roof - tung-oil used

Dawn,

Would you recommend a bath or showee of “Said” treatment … :yum: Jerry

P.S. looking for a spare top/lid/top right now. Then just maybe head for the hardware to see about the bleachy stuff. I see several of my other cedar hives needs a lite sanding n reapplication of Tong-oil or something … just went out n snapped several pixs … my hive from Beethinking needs some :heart:️ but my “Flow” isn’t half bad. Just the peaked garden roofs… they seem to need help MORE :smiley::exclamation:Uploading… Uploading… Uploading… Uploading… Uploading…

1 Like

Beautiful frames of honey, Jerry! Are they from your hives? Looks like you are going to wash your clothes in honey, as the frames are on the washing machine. :smile:

For wood, I would use it as the instructions on the tub instruct. I will try to take pictures if I try it out. I would lightly sand the wood first to give the bleach access to the wood under the tung oil, then make up a solution of 1.5 oz of wood bleach in 1 pint of hot water. For ease of use, I would put it into a spray bottle and spray the solution liberally over the wood on a sunny day outside. Once bleached, rinse throughly with water from our hose, then allow to dry for a few days. I am considering marine quality polyurethane varnish as a final finish for the outside of the roof.

I know you were joking, but to answer your question, I suppose my spray bottle makes it a soaking shower. :smile:

1 Like

Dawn,

I’m either going to have the sweetest or stickiness laundry in town. There must be a big drop in the nectar foraging.

Reason I think I know: I have had a shallow supper on all hives for a month now before our big Blk Berry run. I got hit with high mite counts so had to treat which kill my best chance at filling the Flow n regular shallow supers. Since I don’t have any drawn shallow frames my mentors advice was pull one deep from each deep honey super n drop a shallow in that slot for couple weeks to get comb n maybe honey … then add back to my shallow supers …, Guessing it’s going to still depend on our local nectar flow !

Have a great weekend.
Jerry

1 Like

Hello all. I am considering to paint the top of a new cedar flow roof with water based undercoat and then water based acrylic house paint.
My problem is, the roof is already tung oiled with about 6 coats, 6 months ago. It’s very dry to the touch and already looks in need of another coat, even though it has just been on the verandah.
All my pine hives have water based acrylic house paint and look great. I find the undercoat and paint seal the gaps really well.
My other occupied cedar hives have an extra roof structure above them, but we can’t keep building roofs everywhere I want to place a hive on our land.
So, my question is, can I paint water based acrylic over tung oil?

1 Like

If you sand it lightly, yes. Tung oil just acts as a primer. :blush:

1 Like

Thanks Dawn! Just now sanded it.
I thought I’d ask before I mess up a perfectly good looking roof.
Will prime/undercoat it anyway. Can’t overdo it for our rainforest climate.

1 Like

Pure Tung Oil: A Beginner’s Guide on the Benefits, Where to Buy and How to Apply will help for thows who are wanting to use pur tung oil