Well the drama again unfolded with my 2nd week inspection. My frame holder worked well but needs some modification. My simple braking/holding system failed and that was an inconvenience but I was able to take some better photos.
My 8 frames were evenly spread in the box and this resulted in a lot of cross comb every where. To limit this in future, on closing I put all the frames butting one another then squeezed a 9th shaved down frame in the outside slot. I know this will cause some flack, but the bees were stressing at the end, it was getting hot and I was stressing and I thought this was the quickest way to get closed and out. In the process of removing the cross comb I was left with a lot of deceased bees which was not nice at all. Hopefully this will be better next time.
The brush was not good. I had hoped to clear the frames of bees by brushing them off into the hive. The brush really stirred them up and while it did get them off the frames it upset the bees no end. I’ll have to practice the "sudden chuck stop method of getting bees off.
I opened the hive close to 11: 00 AM hoping a lot the bees would be out as the day was warm, clear and sunny. I am still amazed at the number of bees in the hive and on the frames. Every move I made be it ever so slow there was physical contact with thick wads of bees and that was nerve racking to say the least.
I didn’t see the queen and not sure about eggs and larvae but maybe the pics may show more.
My overall assessment was that all but one frame was 95% full of comb and that was about 60%. I think there was lavae but no eggs, even so that doesn’t worry me at this time maybe in two weeks it may.
There is still mass’s of blossom out on the Marri trees and pollen is coming in thick and fast.
Intention. I am going to leave the hive for 2 more weeks and probably do not much more than look at the out most 2 frames on each side and see how they have filled. The most outer on each side will be the new frame and the 60% filled one. I seem to be doing more harm than good now so I’ll let them rest a bit.
I will decide at next inspection whether to put the super on or not. Normally the Marri forest flowers though till end of March and I will have other trees flowering after that so I’m confident there will be food right through till Spring.
Just recapping the brood box has 5 frames from a NUC and 3 new,
with the extra frame I have just put in making 4 new.
The first 3 photos are of new comb which I think have some larvae
The next two are of the frames which came from the NUC.