My first AFB positive hive šŸ˜©

Unfortunately Iā€™ve had my first case of AFB from a swarm I caught. For now they are blocked in the box.

Iā€™d like to take it to the steritech company in who treat the AFB with radiation.
Problem is, I donā€™t know how Iā€™d go on about killing the bees in the colony before I take it to them.
I know one way is to put petrol inside but that then makes the hive forever unusable

Does anyone have any ideas on how to tackle this?
@Rodderick Iā€™ve seen a couple of your comments regarding steritech, have you been through this process?

Hi @RaniK, sorry to hearā€¦ I only know of two methodsā€¦ 1. pour a cup of petrol over themā€¦ horrendous and messy! or 2. The soapy water method - not ideal but this is method I will use if I come across it.

I have been extremely fortunate so far and have not had to deal with it. I inspected 25 hives over the weekend in different parts of Sydneyā€¦ Loads of Beetle but no AFB (touch wood)

1 Like

Yeah very unfortunate mate, it was a swarm from Narellan.

I wonder if fly spray can be washed out of the woodwork?

In NSW you are required by law to inform the DPI so why not do that and go by their advice, chances are you will have an inspector there at you apiary quickly and he will know the best course of action if you explain your a beginner bee keeper with an issue you donā€™t know how to manage.
Remember your clothing and tools will be contaminated as well.
Cheers

3 Likes

Thanks @Peter48
I notified DPI within 35 seconds of receiving the results from the lab
To say that I was very disappointed with the response is a huge understatement!

The lady recorded it and told me to ā€œburn itā€ no more no less, nothing about an inspector coming out. Itā€™s now been 3 days and still not a single call from anyone.

I also contacted one of the main members in my club 2 mins later and informed him straight away.

Today I asked a few local beeks if theyā€™ve received any notification of the disease, guess what. Nothing!

Things couldā€™ve been handled much better by the DPI and the ABA.

Again, very disappointing

2 Likes

I have to strongly agree with you there. Makes me wonder whatā€™s the point of registering your hives with your respective gov body, and being a member of beekeeper organisations.

I find beekeeping organisations pointless for me, so Iā€™m not a member of any, but I do have my hives legally registered with the agriculture department here in WA. I know others that are not registered and is a pity because I heard they are very proactive here in the west. Fortunately I never had to deal with them though.

Very heartbreaking to have to burn your own hive and equipment.

1 Like

There is a big break down in communication there if local bee keepers who are registered with the DPI havenā€™t had a warning email that AFB has been found in there area.
Not telling you that you had the option of having the hive irradiated is strange.
A really sad outcome.
Cheers

1 Like

@RaniK, canā€™t agree with you more, I am only 33kms from an outbreak of AFB where bees were being kept unregistered, did not reported the outbreak straight away, because the hives werenā€™t registered ($1000 fine). Then only 10 of the 12 hives were destroyed and sadly including the bees. Our beekeepers club canā€™t find any information as to whether the 2 remaining hive are also infected or not. Also as far as I know the local Amateur Beekeepers Club hasnā€™t been kept informed by the API as to the current situation. I just hope that it doesnā€™t spread out to where I live, I couldnā€™t afford to replace my hive if it turned up here.:rage::rage:
BTW, I only found out about the outbreak, soon after I had bought my bees, from the ever town where the AFB outbreak occurred. GGGRRRRR

Can flow frames be sterilised using conventional (chemical) methods and then reutilised?
I sterilise jars by putting them in a pressure cooker. I wonder whether a frame can be pulled apart, sterilised in the pressure cooker and put back together. I havenā€™t pulled apart a frame (yet) and I imagine it may be a big job but it might save at least the frames.