My first beehive! FH2

this is the first one i installed before making the big one. I had to take the one that captured the whole thing from the roof. :laughing::see_no_evil:

4 Likes

I built it late summer/early fall. The very next spring plants were taking over. Since install I have had to remove excess plants from overgrowth. It is 5 years old right now.

This is where the old pond was. I have seeded the whole thing in pollinator flowers. Still working on staining the garden fence.

1 Like

Nice. I have thought about doing something small like that. Just have trouble with multi year projects. :slightly_smiling_face:. Did you get a truckload of garden soil for along the fence?

I sprayed vinegar all over the yard to kill the grass and tilled it all up. Then added about 5 inches of hardwood mulch. Seeded it all with 2000 sqft of wildflower spread.

What brand of seed did you use? All my seed from Pennington has not taken.

I used Pennington. Used four 500sqft bags. 2 wildflower mix and 2 hummingbird/butterfly mix. Raked it all in and have been keeping it wet, there are flowers sprouting everywhere. I did this last weekend. So the seeds have been down about 4 days.

If you seeded early, we had late frost and cold nights. You may need to reseed.

I get all my pond supplies from webb water garden. They have excellent prices.

Thank you for all the info. Amazing backyard!

My pleasure and many thanks. It keeps evolving back here. Maybe one day I’ll be satisfied. :crazy_face:

First hive frame inspection 20 days in from a package. Anything look wrong or right? :grimacing:

5 Likes

That frame looks great, others look similar?

They all look just like this.

1 Like

Then you’re in good shape - they still have some work to do with drawing out the frames but if they have that much brood, honey, and pollen and the comb is all starting out straight then :+1:t4:!

:partying_face: excellent to read. Thanks for checking.

When should I remove the feeder?

Probably now. Then inspect in a week or two, if no progress on the comb and brood, continue feeding, otherwise, they are self-sufficient. :wink:

2 Likes

Okay, thank you. :blush: I will remove it tomorrow. :raised_hands:

1 Like

Feeder removed. It’s so cute when it’s short. :rofl: I’m such a dork.

5 Likes